Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tnsmart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
I'm running VMware Fusion 2.0.5 and am trying to install VMware Tools in Ubuntu 9.04. I have found several sets of instructions, but they all seem out dated and I can't get any to work. Can anyone help me?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
It is a little confusing

I was able to find the steps online by searching and they worked for me
Sorry, but I don't remember where

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
The absolute easiest way is, first, head into the Synaptic package manager and make sure that the "Multiverse" repository is enabled. Then head to a terminal and type:
Code:
sudo apt-get install open-vm-source open-vm-toolbox open-vm-tools

These packages are the open sourced version of VMWare's VM tools. I've been using them for all my Ubuntu installs and they work beautifully.

Your other option is to install them from VMWare's included tarball with the instructions located at this link. The only major difference is there is no need to make the /media/cdrom directory or run the mount command; you can just double click the CD that appears on your desktop and the copy the tar.gz file in there to your desktop.

tnsmart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
The absolute easiest way is, first, head into the Synaptic package manager and make sure that the "Multiverse" repository is enabled. Then head to a terminal and type:
Code:
sudo apt-get install open-vm-source open-vm-toolbox open-vm-tools

These packages are the open sourced version of VMWare's VM tools. I've been using them for all my Ubuntu installs and they work beautifully.

Could you give me the APT line I need to add the Multiverse repository?

Thanks for the help.

tnsmart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
I installed the open source VMware tools and everything works great except for Sharing. I have the preferences turned on to share my Home folder and applications, both ways, but my home folder is nowhere to be found and I can not open Mac OS X applications in Ubuntu, or Ubuntu apps in Mac OS X.

For some reason, whenever I started up Ubuntu, I get a message "Cannot connect virtual device ide1:0 No corresponding device is available on the host…" Might that have something to do with it? Anyone know how I can fix this?

tnsmart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
Can anybody share files and applications on Ubuntu with VMware Fusion?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.