How to install Win 7 ISO on Parallels 6?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by pjny, Aug 11, 2011.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have a PC laptop running Windows 7 64-bit. I would like to create an ISO disc image of the OS and use Parallels 6 to install Win 7 in a virtual environment on a Mac Book Pro 13"(2010; 7,1) using OSX Lion.

What PC application can I use to create the ISO file? I was going to use the native Win 7 backup application because Acronis True Image only creates .TIB files. However, I want to exclude some directories and the inbuilt backup app doesn't have that option.

Will this work if I create an ISO on Win 7 and open it in Parallels?

I heard Parallels 6 requires Windows 7 installation disc to ensure hardware and driver issue compatability.

Thanks

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What do you plan to do with the PC?

Are you planning on getting rid of it and only using the VM?

If so, you might want to look at Parallels Transporter instead.

B

3. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am decommissioning the Dell PC with win 7 because of hardware issues that are too expensive to fix. I have Acronis True Image system backups(TIB files) and want to basically install those on the Parallels VM environment.

The only reason I want to install the ISO file is because I do not want to reinstall all the programs and settings from my Dell PC with Win 7.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You won't get that from an ISO. You will get that from Parallels Transporter or VMWare Converter.

VMWare Converter will even import your TIB files. That's how I got my P4 Dell as an image on my MB.

B

5. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your help. I looked at a youtube tutorial on PT and wonder if it transfers the whole windows installation to a VM in Parallels?

I can't use VMWare because I already purchased Parallels 6 and VMware did not perform very well on my friends i7 15" mbp 2011. (i have 2010 mbp 13")

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Check at parallels, but this is definitely how VMWare converter works.

B