How to install win 7 on MBA with no CD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dilgit, Aug 4, 2011.

1. dilgit macrumors regular

I have a genuine CD of Windows 7 64bit, which I want to install with Parallels 6 on my new MacBook Air 13". I have no super drive, so how do I resolve this.

2. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

Remote Disk.

You can share the CD drive of other Macs and Windows PCs.

3. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Start bootcamp and have an iso available with a thumb drive too.

4. dilgit thread starter macrumors regular

And how do I connect the MBA to my iMac so that I can operate iMac's CD from within my MBA?

5. Lord Appleseed, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

I have never used it before, but i think you have to enable CD sharing on the iMac in order to allow the MBA to access it.

Hold on, i will try it with my Macs and report back.

Edit: So, you only have to turn on the iMac, click in the MBA's Finder on Remote Disk and select the iMac. Then you have to ask for allowance to use the CD drive, which you have to agree to on the iMac and done.
    Once you put in a cd a window will pop up on your MBA.

6. katysax macrumors newbie

This works if you have access to a PC with a DVD drive and a USB hard drive or USB key with 4GB or more. Copy the files from the DVD drive to the USB. You can also make an iso and copy the iso to the external USB drive. When installing windows from a hard drive rather than a DVD - the installation on the macbook air is lightening fast.

Parallels works with the iso of the windows install disk on an external drive. When you start the Parallels install process, select the iso as the image for installation.

7. dilgit thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! How do I transfer the Win 7 CD/DVD contents into an iso file that I can save on a disk on key and use with Parallels 6?

8. idroid84 macrumors newbie

You need to create an image (ISO) of the disc.

Use Burn:
    http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/21992/burn

9. dilgit thread starter macrumors regular

Are you sure this will work? I have the Win 7 64bit version and I know that just copying the files will NOT work. I have to be sure that the iso file I generate from the Win 7 genuine CD, will work just fine as a iso file on a disk on key.

10. idroid84 macrumors newbie

I never said copy the files from the disc, Burn creates an ISO for you. You can also use the Disk Utility built into Mac.

11. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, if you use a program on the Mac that has a DVD drive to create an ISO file it will work just fine.