How to install Windows 7 on RMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yabot, Sep 14, 2013.

1. yabot macrumors regular

So i just bought a 15inch retina macbook pro, i was literally just about to buy windows 7 off ebay, then thought, ****, no disk drive!!

so how do i install windows 7? i dont want to splash out on a external disk drive only to use it once and there's no other windows machines in the house, i only really want it to play some battlefield 3 in my spare time, as xbox just doesnt cut it anymore, and i wont be buying the next gen consoles either,

any help is much appreciated, cheers.

2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Short answer, with a flash drive.

Long answer, all you need is the legit product key for the installation and a flash drive. As long as you get the key you can use the Boot Camp Assistant with the ISO (Disk image) of Win 7 to make a bootable flash drive to install it to.

Here's a link to the Windows 7 ISO's (OEM, legitimate Microsoft files)
    http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

Just download the copy you bought, run Bootcamp Assistant with a flash drive, and go! Hope this helps.

3. yabot, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

yabot thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply, so you can install windows 7 from a flash drive? Didn't know that... how big of a flash drive do you need? And also which one do i download from the link you gave me? Obviously english, and home premium, i need 64 bit, but what is x86?

So as far as i understand, i download one off that link to the flash drive, open bootcamp assistant, then install it from the flashdrive...

Sorry, right newbie here.

thanks.

4. Sheldonsmith macrumors regular

Sheldonsmith

Sound?

One of the MacBook pro's with 250gb ssd we installed with Windows 7 Professional (fully licensed) but cannot seem to get the sound to work?

Is there a particular Win7 driver that we have to install?

Any insights appreciated.

-Sheldon

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

The bootcamp assistant explains that quite well. I recommend reading the prompts as you use the bootcamp assistant, they're there for a reason.

You'll need to download the drivers before installation and put then on a USB thumb drive. You'll then need to install windows. Then you'll need that second thumb drive to install the bootcamp drivers.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

32 bit.

...and don't overlook the Boot Camp documentation.

7. yabot thread starter macrumors regular

so i got windows installed all well and good, however it keeps updating 1/108, for example when i shut it down, then when i boot it back up it saying configuring them, however each time it FAILS and it just cycles 'installing', 'configuring', pain in the arse, no wonder i left microsoft.

8. dholzer macrumors newbie

You're right, it is much easier to install OS X on a Windows PC than Windows 7 on a Mac.