How to install Windows 7 via USB in Bootcamp on Yosemite

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by beanstalk230, Nov 23, 2014.

1. beanstalk230 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a Macbook late 2009. Recently installed a new SSD in place of the superdrive & that is where the problems began. Installed a fresh copy of Yosemite & ran bootcamp to install Windows 7.

Bootcamp does not seem to recognize the Windows 7 USB installation media & specifically mentions "The installer disc could not be found".

Is there any solution to the issue or do I have to reinstall the Superdrive to get bootcamp working. Worst part is that I do not have torsion screwdrivers which is another reason I am a bit hesitant to go about it.

Kindly advice.

P.S. Have downloaded the windows support files on my USB through bootcamp. Would the following work:
    1. Create a exFAT partition for Windows manually
    2. Try to boot through Windows 7 USB (Read somewhere that force booting through USB does not work. Not sure whether its true or not)
    3. Install bootcamp drivers that are on the USB

Anyone ?? Some inputs required.

2. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Other threads on this. Here is a recent one, and another.

Bottom line, put superdrive back, or use Parallels or VM Ware (my recommendation).

There are a few people who have managed to install with external USB using complex rEFIt based methods, not for the fainthearted.