How to install windows 8??

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ivnj, Oct 30, 2012.

1. ivnj macrumors 65816

I got the 40 dollars windows 8 and the 15 dollar backup dvd. Now how to install it on my mac mini i5 2.3 8gb ram. I don't want to partition or format 10.7. The parallels I have is from 2007. Like 1.0 I think. So that won't work. Is there anything else I can use to install windows 8 (even if I have to buy it). Or will it install to an external hard drive.

2. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I'm under the impression that you pirated this. If you want a $40 OS, then pay $40 for it. If you just want something different from OSX, there are plenty of free linux distros out there.

3. Darby67 macrumors 6502

What leads you to believe it was pirated? The OP states it was purchased.

4. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

No. It simply stated the retail value of the 2 different discs.

5. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

I said I got the 40 dollar windows 8. I didn't say pirate. Or state what retial was. I said I got it for 40 dollars. I bought it from the advisor program. Downloading does not automatically mean pirate. I downloaded 10.8 also. Downloading is the way of future. App store anyone. Cds will soon be outdated.

6. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Everyone, Microsoft offers a $14.99 upgrade for new PCs with Windows 7, a $40 upgrade for any computer running XP-7, or the $69.99 OEM disk. With the $40 upgrade, you can get a $15 backup DVD of the operating system.

Not everyone pirates.

7. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

Exactly thank you. I got the 40 dollar upgrade as I have windows 7 on my samsung np rv 515 a01us. And the backup dvd incase I freeze or my wifi goes bad and doesn't download.

If I can't use the same dvd or 40 dollar upgrade on my mac mini I'll stick with the laptop. But right now nothing is installed so I have to decide the mini or the laptop. But anyway thought I'd ask.

8. tensiondeadache macrumors regular

I bought the 69.99 Windows 8 Pro at the Microsoft Store this weekend. I have an early 2011 MBP with 4GB RAM. Should I wait for the driver support, or is there a way to do this in boot camp now? Thanks.

9. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

Ivy, I read that wrong. Sorry

As for driver support, it can't hurt to try it. Most of those drivers can be fetched automatically by windows anyway.

10. Dragorth macrumors newbie

I am currently using the 2011 MBP with Win 8. I am working through issues with the bootcamp drivers.

It is being recommended not to use them. YMMV.

11. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I agree. Tried every which way to install old bootcamp drivers even manually. No luck.

Win8 is usable with a corded mouse but that's like using hamsters to pull a dog sled. :eek: