How to install Windows-based games on a MBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bryan Yeap, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Bryan Yeap macrumors newbie

besides parallel desktop and boot camp . Is there other ways to install a Windows-based game on Snow Leopard/MBP ? *Desperate !!!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Boot Camp, Parallels, VMware Fusion, or similar apps are the only way.

3. vant macrumors 65816

Takes me less than a minute or two to boot camp into windows from OSX. Most of the time is spent loading Windows.

4. Bryan Yeap thread starter macrumors newbie

which software would you recommend ? My friends recommended me CrossOver, but it seems to be working on certain games only ... :(

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Use boot camp. It runs windows natively, so it actually runs at full speed. Any virtualization will kill gaming performance.

6. virk87 macrumors newbie

Bootcamp or VMware. my suggestion: don't buy mac if you're playing games not available on mac or stop playing those games.

i have win7 installed thru bootcamp, and each time I boot it up, I can't help but feel my blood boiling. why so? because it takes no more than 20s to boot up osx, but for win7 it takes more than a minute to reach the login screen, then another 15-20s for the start-up programs to load. and I swear besides SC2, the only other programs I have installed are anti-virus and google chrome.

7. Entopia7 macrumors regular

Certain PC games can be thrown into a generic Cider wrapper and will run "natively." The wrapper application basically emulates a windows PC without the virtualization software. If you own a game that happens to work with this method, you can install it on a windows PC and copy the files over to a wrapper application.

I should mention that this is very tinker-y and rarely works, but I remember about a year ago I had my copy of Dawn of War: Dark Crusade running rather well in a Cider wrapper...

8. bamf macrumors 6502

Check out Steam too. There are ~100 games now that Steam has released for the Mac.

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

What is your problem with virtualization/Windows, the cost of Windows?

Your best bet for native performance is partitioning your drive and installing Windows.

10. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

use bootcamp. its fine and works great. i game in windows on my mbp.

Well i did before i upgraded my desktop pc and now i game on that again lol

11. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I remember the days of SoftWindows and VirtualPC on the PowerPC Macs, that was so damn slow, it was all emulation.