Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickelpar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Northern KY
I'm setting up my first mac and being a switcher, want to install XP and a few programs. I have a legitimate copy of XP (SP1), but I see that I need the SP2 version. I tried a couple of guides on slipstreaming (combining XP with a downloaded SP2) to make a bootable XP SP2 CD. I got an error message halfway through, which one guide explained was caused by my OEM version sold by major pc makers - thank you Dell.

In reading other posts, I guess I'm confused with the Windows license and may mean I'll just go out and buy a new copy???

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
If you have an OEM version of XP - that will not activate if you install it on a computer other than the one which it came with. Also OEM keys will not work with Retail/Volume copies of XP.

It would be better to drop $99 on XP Home that comes with SP2 installed.

MittenSox

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
what do you need it for?

i performed the slipstream disk and found windows useless (viruses and messy etc) when i compared it to my lovely mac OS X, unless it's an essesntial most normal windows only apps have a mac alternative.

nickelpar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Northern KY
I wanted to install a few programs that I use for work (excel, access, frontpage) as well as Vegas - even though I'm moving to FCP for video, I want to be able to open and edit old video jobs. Bottom line is that I don't want to keep two computers running, when one will do.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
In reading other posts, I guess I'm confused with the Windows license and may mean I'll just go out and buy a new copy???

Don't worry, you're not alone in being confused by the Windows license. :p You'll need a lawyer just to figure out which version to buy.

The one linked to by parapup also won't work out of the box as it is the upgrade version. You can make it work, but it takes, well, work, and if you don't have a license to upgrade from, it is a violation of the EULA.

You need the full version http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16837116193

or if you think you may qualify as a System Builder get the OEM part

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116056

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.