How to install XP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jbrown, Dec 20, 2009.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

I have a DMG image file of XP pro - which I'd like to install and use with Parallels.

How do you install from a DMG file? Or do you need to do a boot copy to a DVD - again if so, how?

cheers:)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're going to install it in vmware (or parallels) you can point the installer to the ISO disk. If you want to install it in bootcamp you must do so with a bootable cd.

Just mount the ISO, open up disk utility, right click the image, and select burn (with a blank cd in the drive of course). Pretty easy.

3. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Well I can burn the image OK, and go through Parallels and specify the DMG image - but now works with Parallels to create a working virtual machine:(

Keep getting ' No boot device available ' message

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then maybe this disk image (DMG) is not bootable. Have you double clicked on the DMG file to see what the contents are?

5. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Yes - and full of 'windowish' files, but to be honest I don't know much about windows so not sure what I'm looking at:eek:

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I also don't know how a bootable Windows DVD looks like, but just copying a Windows DVD via normal means and burning it without any extra settings doesn't create a bootable DVD copy. When I wanted to create a bootable Windows install DVD/CD I had to set the burning software (Nero) to make it bootable.
    Can you tell us where you get the DVD?

7. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then we can't really help you.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Things_Not_to_Do

Warez/Serials/Keys.
    Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

9. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

no worries - I'll have to register anyway to activate:)