How to install Yosemite (no GUID drive + bootcamp)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Koobs123, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Koobs123, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015

Koobs123 macrumors member

So i want to install Yosemite but I'm getting the following error
    [​IMG]

I follow instructions and don't have the options button available to click
    [​IMG]

Here are my drives.
    windows 7 (NTFS)
    MacOS (MacOS extended journaled)
    extra partition 8gig (MS-DOS Fat) think i used this to boot windows
    [​IMG]

HOW DO I SAFELY AND PROPERLY BACKUP THIS COMPUTER?

I know how to save files onto a hard drive. Best comparison of what i want is how when you restore your iPhone after backing it up you get all your settings, photos, apps, etc in the same way that you left them.

what is the best way to do this for both my windows 7 bootcamp and mac.

also can I get away with just doing the Mac drive somehow and converting it to GUID and installing the yosemite? what i don't understand if i delete/convert these drives to GUID will MacOS still run on it in order to open the yosemite install file?

im so confused…. I have to much work on the windows 7 bootcamp I don't want to mess with it. but i also don't want to be stuck and unable to upgrade my OS over something this stupid.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Your images aren't showing up.

OS X can only install onto GPT-partitioned (GUID Partition Table) drives.

How did you even manage to break the partition table in the first place?

3. Koobs123 thread starter macrumors member

I have no idea. Definitely didn't do it intentionally. I searched online not much info on this (but there are quite a few people that have the same problem) and they only answer i did find was backup comp and re partition. but thats shiat!

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your partition type is MBR, not Guid. You'll need to backup your data, and repartition your drive to the GUID type so Yosemite will install. I recommend using winclone to backup your bootcamp partition as well.

5. Koobs123 thread starter macrumors member

would it be easier to install yosemite on an external HD (that is GUID formatted) and then Copy everything I need onto that HD?

As for the windows. Will it work completely normal if i literally just copy paste it onto the External HD then back again once i reformat drives? or will i need a startup disk or something (don't have one and remember it was a pain in the ass to get everything working like it is right now (ie. trackpad drivers etc).

JUST SO I UNDERSTAND...

I will need two external HDs (or partition it) first one for windows in MS-DOS FAT… then i copy the internal drive to the external drive and boot it (holding OPTION) from the external HD it will work just the same as it does now?
    And for the second external HD doing the same process and booting from it will also give me and working OS like it is now? then after i format internal drive in 1 partition for GUID and 2nd MSDOS FAT copy past from externals to those partitions and I'm good to go? all settings, backgrounds, apps, desktop icon layouts, games etc all stay the way they were?

6. chrfr macrumors 603

Definitely not. Winclone should do what you need although I've never tested it with an MBR formatted disk. You might contact the developer to ensure that it'll work.

----------

Winclone copies the Windows disk to a disk image file that can go on any Mac disk.

7. Koobs123 thread starter macrumors member

Do you know why It wouldn't work? am i not just temporarily moving the windows files, then putting them back in the exact same order and place??

can you explain the science/programing behind why it wouldn't work?

8. chrfr macrumors 603

First, you can't write to NTFS on a Mac natively. Second, permissions would be broken, leaving Windows unbootable. Third, Windows needs to know where the boot files are on the disk. Drag copying them will cause them to be "lost."