How to install Yosemite to new SSD? (MBP 2011)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HarryPot, Jun 20, 2015.

1. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I just bought a new SSD for my MBP 15" Late 2011.

And I'm wondering, how should I proceed to install the SSD and get Yosemite installed as well?

I'm guessing the recovery partition on my Mac will be lost when I remove my current HDD.

I appreciate any help!:)

2. Vermifuge macrumors 6502

Vermifuge

Option One is to make a bootable USB Yosemite instal. Option Two (depending on the year of your mac) is to do an Internet Recovery. Internet recovery can take many hours depending on your connection and will only install the version of OS X that came with your mac. You can upgrade it after.

If you have the ability to make a bootable install drive that's the favorable option.

3. HarryPot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I'll look into it.

I wasn't aware bootable drives worked when there was no OS installed internally. It sounds like a good option.

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Option 3: Buy a SATA-USB adapter, and install the OS on the new SSD before putting it into the machine. Then you can also verify the SSD works, before splitting your machine apart, as you can just boot from it.

5. shoehornhands, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015

shoehornhands macrumors regular

1. Grab a USB flash drive that's at least 8GB

2. Download Yosemite from the app store (should download to your applications folder)

3. Open disk utility and do the following:
    -highlight the USB drive in the left column
    -click on the partition tab
    -select "1 partition"
    -click "options" and select GUID Partition Table
    -under name just type: USB (it will be renamed later)
    -under format choose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"
    -click "apply" and "partition"

4. Now open terminal (found under utilities) and paste the following into it:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --no interaction

-just paste that into terminal and hit enter, it should ask for your password and then the OS will create factory restore media from the USB stick and the Yosemite installer you downloaded from the app store (Note: can take 30-45min depending on speed of flash drive so don't remove the USB drive or exit terminal until it says it's finished)

5. To boot into the installer, just restart the computer and then hold down the "option" key during boot to bring up the boot menu
    -select the Yosemite installer from the boot menu (can take quite awhile to load)
    -if it's a new SSD, you should be able to simply follow the on screen instructions
    -if the USB has another OS installed on it, just open disk utility and erase it
    -simply bring your mouse to the top of the screen and the menu bar will appear (disk utility is under "utilities")

The above will install a factory fresh (just like you get with a brand new mac) copy of Yosemite on the SSD.

6. HarryPot thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think I have one adapter around there. Hopefully the SSD won't have problems, but it is always good to take precautions.

Thanks for the very detailed instructions!