How to internet recovery wipe and reinstall... please help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tm0000, Jan 24, 2019.

1. tm0000 macrumors regular

Can someone please explain what it means when someone says "when I purchased the laptop the first thing I did before setting it up was an internet recovery wipe and reinstall of the MacOS"

I just received my brand new MBP today... Could someone please tell me how to do an internet recovery wipe and reinstall of the MacOS?

Thank you very much!

2. Stephen.R macrumors 6502a

Stephen.R

If you just bought it new, there is no need to wipe and reinstall. You're literally wasting time with zero benefit.

If you do want to reinstall (including potentially wiping the drive) see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

3. CoastalOR macrumors 68020

CoastalOR

4. internetrando macrumors regular

internetrando

That might have been my comment on a post, because that’s what I do.

Shut down the laptop, press and hold Command+Option+R and boot into internet recovery mode.

Use disk utility to wipe the drive, and then reinstall Mac OSX onto the freshly formatted drive.

I find it to be the only acceptable method of setting up a brand-new computer. Maybe it was time working in the government, but I wouldn’t trust the software image installed on a computer straight from China.

I’ll take the one straight from Apple’s servers and get finagled the normal way.