Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I was trying to diagnose an issue on my cMPro 5,1 with howling fans that turned out to be bent pins on the backplane.

As part of trying to debug, I failed to be able to invoke diagnostics. I set the startup volume from EFI OCLP to Mojave and tried booting with
  • Depressing "D"
  • Depressing Opt-Cmd "D"
Neither of these invoked diagnostics. What is the proper sequence? The Apple Support site is general and not specific to platform.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Only MacPro6,1 and newer Mac Pros have "native" diagnostics, downloaded from Apple servers automatically much like Internet Recovery. Once you formatted the factory macOS install of a MacPro5,1, the factory installed Apple Hardware Test (AHT) is gone forever since it's not part of a standard macOS install.

To reinstall it or create a USB key with AHT, follow the steps on this article:

For an early-2009 cross-flashed to MP5,1 EFI, you need mid-2010 AHT version.

• Love
Reactions: m4v3r1ck

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I was trying to diagnose an issue on my cMPro 5,1 with howling fans that turned out to be bent pins on the backplane.

As part of trying to debug, I failed to be able to invoke diagnostics. I set the startup volume from EFI OCLP to Mojave and tried booting with
  • Depressing "D"
  • Depressing Opt-Cmd "D"
Neither of these invoked diagnostics. What is the proper sequence? The Apple Support site is general and not specific to platform.
Unless your cMP's Mojave was updated from the factory installed OSX (or update from the OS that from the recovery CD). Otherwise, there is no AHT in the OS. Therefore, Hold D to boot won't work.

When you performed a clean installation NOT from the restoration CD, you will need to manually install AHT by yourself.

If possible, you may consider to use ASD. IMO, that's a more user friendly tool than AHT.

Besides, you will need a graphic card that has boot screen. Otherwise, neither AHT nor ASD will be displayed on the screen. Since you are running Mojave, that graphic card can't be the original Apple card, you have to make sure it meet this requirement.

Last but not least, any non original hardware (including your own SSD, or the upgraded graphic card) may generate error in AHT / ASD, due to both of them are designed for very specific hardware.

3DXmac

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
São Paulo
Only MacPro6,1 and newer Mac Pros have "native" diagnostics, downloaded from Apple servers automatically much like Internet Recovery. Once you formatted the factory macOS install of a MacPro5,1, the factory installed Apple Hardware Test (AHT) is gone forever since it's not part of a standard macOS install.

To reinstall it or create a USB key with AHT, follow the steps on this article:

For an early-2009 cross-flashed to MP5,1 EFI, you need mid-2010 AHT version.
It seems when you download the DMG file, there is no /System/Library/CoreServices/.diagnostics folder inside to replace.
My MacPro5,1 started to reboot out of nothing, have no idea what's causing the problem, but it is hardware related. I was wondering if this test would help?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
It seems when you download the DMG file, there is no /System/Library/CoreServices/.diagnostics folder inside to replace.

Forget installing inside macOS, too much things can go wrong and you don't have access to /System/Library/CoreServices/ folder with macOS releases that have Signed System Volume security (SSV) - BigSur and later releases.

Make a bootable AHT USB-key following the Github article instructions I've linked here previously.

My MacPro5,1 started to reboot out of nothing, have no idea what's causing the problem, but it is hardware related. I was wondering if this test would help?

If is something non-intermittent, AHT will probably catch it. Nothing to loose running it. Btw, check if this Mac Pro is not overheating (broken northbridge heatsink push-pins).

Best and most cost effective solution for the push-pin problem is showed on this post:

3DXmac

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
São Paulo
Hi tsialex,

Thanks for your support. I did a quick run test, and it reported having no issue with the hardware. Now I'm running the extended testing. What's curious about that? It has been running for almost 30 minutes with no reboot so far. Usually, the computer will reboot within 10 minutes. I have no idea how long it is going to take, but the progress bar seems to be stuck.

Ah, forgot to mention: northbridge heatsink push-pins are fine.

3DXmac

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
São Paulo
That's pretty weird, I shut it down for a weekend, and then when I turned it back, it started to behave like that.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Could be that the Mac Pro is stuck, sometimes this happens.

My advice is to remove all DIMMs but one, and then run the extended test one time for each one of the DIMMs. Pay attention to the behaviour, if one reboots, or the test fails, you got your culprit.

3DXmac

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
São Paulo
I am unable to complete the test in extended mode, the tool is freezing. I put my hand on the heatsink of the first tower and it was very hot compared to the second. Something is wrong. When it restarts, we hear a "tek", as if it were a relay disarming. It seems to me that the north tower has a temperature of around 78 degrees Celsius.
Do we have another tool for testing so we can try it out?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Do we have another tool for testing so we can try it out?

You can try ASD EFI, use the search in the Mac Pro forum for earlier posts, MacRumors forum rules do not allow linking to internal Apple tools anymore.

3DXmac

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
São Paulo
Things got worse, It can't hold more than one minute now. I have no idea what's causing it to restart. Might be some board issue? PSU? That's unbelievable!

Afterward, I stopped to think about it more, and here's what happened. I had turned off the machine and removed the boot disk, then I turned on the computer without the disk. At first, I thought it could be something related to the system. But I have an SSD with Mojave that is native to this machine, and the problem persists.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Things got worse, It can't hold more than one minute now. I have no idea what's causing it to restart. Might be some board issue? PSU? That's unbelievable!

Afterward, I stopped to think about it more, and here's what happened. I had turned off the machine and removed the boot disk, then I turned on the computer without the disk. At first, I thought it could be something related to the system. But I have an SSD with Mojave that is native to this machine, and the problem persists.

It's a 11 to 15 years old Mac Pro, you could have a defective PSU/CPU tray/backplane. Start testing each component with a known working Mac Pro.

3DXmac

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
São Paulo
It's a 11 to 15 years old Mac Pro, you could have a defective PSU/CPU tray/backplane. Start testing each component with a known working Mac Pro.
If there is a problem with the board, I can find it by testing the components. But my heart hurts, this machine is wonderful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.