How to jailbreak 2.0?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by nish123456, Jul 20, 2008.

1. nish123456 macrumors member

I've never used Pwnage Tool before :confused: What do I do?

2. Critical Hippo macrumors member

First, this is for Macs. There is no tool for Windows yet. If you have Windows, you need to find some kind Mac user on the internet who is willing to send you the custom restore firmware that Pwnage creates for the iPod, unless that method does not work. I have not tried it.

Second, this is how I did it last night. I am not saying this is the correct way or the best way. I'm sure I screwed up somewhere along the way. However, I did get it working.

1. Grab a copy of the Ipod 2.0 official firmware that Apple released. If you officially upgraded, this should already be on your computer and you can go to Step 2. If not, see Step 1.a

1.a If you do not have the official firmware on your computer yet, either download it from Apple (not sure if you have to pay before you download or if it just prompts for the $9.95 when you want to install) or Google iPod1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw and download the file. It's 200+ megs. When you have downloaded the file, Place it in Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates.

2. Connect your iPod Touch to your Mac. Ignore Itunes and its requests to install that firmware you have.

3. Download and run Pwnage 2.0. Select iPod Touch from the middle of the screen and click Continue. At this point Pwnage should automatically locate the official Apple firmware on your hard drive. It will appear in the middle of the screen. Click it and then click Continue.

4. Pwnage will use that official firmware to build a custom firmware for your iPod Touch. This may take a bit and it may prompt you to enter your password. When it is finished, you should see iPod1,1_2.0_5A347_Custom_Restore.ipsw in the folder where the Pwnage app is located (I just had it on my desktop so it was right there).

5. Continue following the Pwnage instructions, but DO NOT GET FRUSTRATED if an error message appears saying "Failed to enter DFU mode." If that appears, as it did for me, go to Step 6.

6. Close Pwnage. It has done its job because it has made that custom Restore firmware. Open Itunes while your iPod is connected to the Mac. You should see the option to Restore the iPod. Hold down "Alt" on your keyboard (It's above the "option" key on my Macbook) and click Restore.

7. At this point a browser window will appear. Guide it to that custom firmware that Pwnage 2.0 built and select it. Have itunes restore your iPod with that custom firmware. When it has finished, you will have a jailbroken iPod Touch using the 2.0 firmware.

8. If at any point your computer or iPod catches fire, know that I have so many student loans that I am practically judgment-proof from any lawsuit you might file against me.

3. nish123456 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but I should've specified that I use Windows. Sorry :eek:

4. macfan881 macrumors 68020

i currently run 2.0 do i need to Downgrade to another firmware?

5. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Would you mind posting a link to the site you used to download? I've looked but I'm having some trouble downloading it.

6. macfan881 macrumors 68020

ok i have the 2.0 software on my computer but ipwn still doesnt reconize it what should i do?

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

if u mean winpwn then no it wont recognise it, winpwn was made before this firmware was released and therefore no support, theres talks of an updated version coming out soon so stay tuned ;)

8. jacktiernan macrumors regular

Followed these instructions, continuously getting "error 6" when itunes attempts to restore using the custom firmware...

Any ideas my wonderful community?

9. itzdemo macrumors regular

itzdemo

why ?

ok say you jailbreak the 2.0 firmware. then what would you do with it ? i havent seen no apps that are ready for the 2.0. in my eyes the best thing about a hacked ipod touch or iphone is getting to theme it! all the apps (even for 1.1.4) are nothing to cry about losing! lol..

i just upgraded mine to 2.0 and love the new options.

built in screenshot program that saves to your photos so you can email them.
    and added mail support. download and save pictures from e-mail.

just those two options seem to be worth more then all the old apps put together!!!

only thing i can say i miss is customize 2.0 & summerboard.. i like to have a background behind the icons.

and being able to edit each icon to what i like.

intill somone can figer this out for the new 2.0 i think im going to wait to play with mine.. :D

10. Xavier macrumors 68020

I went ahead and did the jailbreak so I wouldn't have to restore and add all of my songs and videos manually AGAIN

(I have to do manual because I have so many songs/movies)

11. macornomac macrumors 6502

Ok guys I have a quick question. Is this the only type of jailbreak that will be available?? Like last time I jailbroke I don't think I used wnpawn but some other thing which was good. The thing I don't like about this jailbreak is that stupid pineapple image and it's a little buggy plus no installer.

12. J*man macrumors member

When will winpwn be available for 2.0? And will ziphone have a jailbreak for 2.0? Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere.

13. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

the dev team release xpwn which means someone out there can make a nice little windows interface to work with xpwn so we could see one pretty soon just not winpwn, but do not give up hope this is quoted from winpwn.com

14. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

I got that too. All I did was redo everything starting with PwnageTool. Just boot it up and follow all the instructions again. Thats how i fixed mine.

15. dagored macrumors 65816

Go to expert mode and do not check the pineapple icon. The default Apple logo will be used.