Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpborn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Hi Everyone,
I apologize in advance for asking for help for something seemingly minor but...

My sister gave me her old iPhone 3GS, the screen is broken...I thought I'd try to jailbreak it then unlock it so I can use my T-Mobile sim with the phone but I can't seem to figure out how to do this. Any help would be awesome.

I did restore it to iPhone OS 4.3.1 which may or may not have been a mistake but I wanted to update it first.

It also has Baseband 05.16.02-6.4_M3S2.

I've been trying all day and can't seem to figure it out! I can't seem to restore an older operating system either, I figured that might be the easiest thing because untethered jailbreak of 4.3.1 does not seem to exist yet, but untethered is not important.

Would I put the new sim card in before I do all the jailbreaking?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Hi Everyone,

My sister gave me her old iPhone 3GS, the screen is broken...I thought I'd try to jailbreak it then unlock it so I can use my T-Mobile sim with the phone but I can't seem to figure out how to do this. Any help would be awesome.

I did restore it to iPhone OS 4.3.1 which may or may not have been a mistake but I wanted to update it first.

I've been trying all day and can't seem to figure it out! I can't seem to restore an older operating system either, I figured that might be the easiest thing because untethered jailbreak of 4.3.1 does not seem to exist yet, but untethered is not important.

1. Apple currently signs 4.3.1, therefore, you can only put this firmware on your 3GS unless your phone was jailbroken previously and has SHSH save. As you describe above, you just restore it to the latest IOS. So, this is what you have to deal with now.
2. Currently, there isn't a untethered jailbreak for this latest firmware. unless your 3GS has an old bootrom.
3. Redsn0w can install ipad baseband into your phone. I have tried this with firmware version 4.2.1 and earlier as well as baseband 05.15 & 05.14. I have not tried on 4.3.1 & 05.16. Therefore, I do not know if it works. You might want to try it.

jpborn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Thanks for the rapid reply!

Let me make sure I understand, are you saying her phone must have been jailbroken before? I really can't imagine she knew how to or would have wanted to do that. In any case I'm not sure what you mean by Apple signs 4.3.1, but I guess it means that it's unchangeable? I can't downgrade to another OS which is jailbreakable? I did notice that when I ran TinyUmbrella, there were two SHSH saves, the 4.3.1 and 4.1 I think, what does that mean? Could I restore to 4.1, that must have been what she was running previously before she was locked out by her kids pushing the password endlessly trying to get in.

I've tried using redsn0w but when it asks to browse the firmware I'm using it keeps rejecting the 4.3.1 that I've downloaded so I can't seem to even get in using that program.

I just checked, this phone has Old Bootrom. And how might that be useful to jailbreak this 4.3.1 untethered.

thanks!

Last edited:

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Thanks for the rapid reply!

Let me make sure I understand, are you saying her phone must have been jailbroken before? I really can't imagine she knew how to or would have wanted to do that. In any case I'm not sure what you mean by Apple signs 4.3.1, but I guess it means that it's unchangeable? I can't downgrade to another OS which is jailbreakable? I did notice that when I ran TinyUmbrella, there were two SHSH saves, the 4.3.1 and 4.1 I think, what does that mean? Could I restore to 4.1, that must have been what she was running previously before she was locked out by her kids pushing the password endlessly trying to get in.

I've tried using redsn0w but when it asks to browse the firmware I'm using it keeps rejecting the 4.3.1 that I've downloaded so I can't seem to even get in using that program.

I just checked, this phone has Old Bootrom. And how might that be useful to jailbreak this 4.3.1 untethered.

thanks!

1. On your original post, your have restored the Iphone. Therefore, even it has been jailbroken before, by restoring it, it erased all previous SHSH save and it is restored to factory setting.
2. As for jailbreak, you can either use sn0wbreeze or Pwnage tool (Mac only) to jailbreak it. Once it jailbreak and because your iphone has an old bootrom, you have untethered jailbreak.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
What? Blobs are stored on a server. Even this fool can't erase them.
Whichever blobs you have is what iOS you can install. If you have 4.2.1, you can install that.

1. On your original post, your have restored the Iphone. Therefore, even it has been jailbroken before, by restoring it, it erased all previous SHSH save and it is restored to factory setting.
2. As for jailbreak, you can either use sn0wbreeze or Pwnage tool (Mac only) to jailbreak it. Once it jailbreak and because your iphone has an old bootrom, you have untethered jailbreak.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Hi Everyone,

Read the stickies and search. You can't figure out because you haven't been reading!

That's gotta be the smartest move. Now you can only use iPad's BB to unlock. If you were to do some reading before doing this then you may be able to avoid this.

AGAIN. If you were to learn how to search and read then you would have figure it out! There are similar threads in the first page and you just decided to create a new one.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
If for some reason you do have blobs, downgrade to 4.2.1 and jb with greenpois0n. Then use redsn0w to install iPad bb or wait forever for the new unlock.

jpborn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions...Here's an update.

The thing about reading all this stuff is that as you learn more and you practice things on the phone things take on different meaning to you, so I didn't understand a lot of things I was reading when I started. But I have made some progress thanks to the suggestions and things on here.

I did have SHSH blobs stored on my phone, I used Tiny Umbrella to save them and then I successfully downgraded back to 4.1.

So then I was able to jailbreak the phone in 4.1 using Pwnage Tool and Tiny Umbrella, but I still can't unlock it. I installed ultrasn0w on Cydia but my new sim card still doesn't work. I'm wondering if it doesn't have something to do with the fact that Cydia still says "This device is in the pending TSS queue" which I understand takes a few days to go through. Is that correct? I haven't read anything else about unlock the phone except using ultransn0w, right?

Thanks again for all the help.

jpborn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
One last question...awadee you mention "Then use redsn0w to install iPad bb or wait forever for the new unlock."

Is this only in OS 4.2.1, if I am using 4.1 can I still use redsn0w to install iPad bb and then unlock the phone ...in other words, am I having problems unlocking because of my Baseband settings and I still need to upgrade them?

thanks so much!

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Your current baseband can't be unlocked by Ultrasn0w. So, you need to install IPad baseband.

Redsn0w 0.9.6b6 has option for you to install iPad baseband on your phone. Makke sure you download iPad 3.2.2 iOS onto your PC before running this.

jpborn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Thanks Crystal-RX for that info! I am doing all this on a Mac, I can still use redsn0w right? I actually have already downloaded this file "iPad1,1_3.2.2_7B500_Restore.ipsw" is that what you mean when you say the "iPad 3.2.2 iOS"...

thanks!!

jpborn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Could I ask your help again with this, Crystal-RX

I run redsn0w, I point it on start to this new file "iPad1,1_3.2.2_7B500_Restore.ipsw"

It accepts it but then says, select your options and I don't know which to select to update the baseband...

Install Cydia
Install Custom Bundle
Just boot tethered right now
Just enter pwned DFU mode right now

Those are the four selections, but I have Cydia installed already?
Also am I doing it right to point to this new iPad baseband first right when I start up redsn0w?

Thanks so much for your help with this.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Could I ask your help again with this, Crystal-RX

I run redsn0w, I point it on start to this new file "iPad1,1_3.2.2_7B500_Restore.ipsw"

It accepts it but then says, select your options and I don't know which to select to update the baseband...

Install Cydia
Install Custom Bundle
Just boot tethered right now
Just enter pwned DFU mode right now

Those are the four selections, but I have Cydia installed already?
Also am I doing it right to point to this new iPad baseband first right when I start up redsn0w?

Thanks so much for your help with this.

When you run redsn0w, don't point at the ipad baseband. You need to point at 4.1 which is matching IOS on your Iphone.

Ipad firmware on your computer is for redsn0w to install the baseband from it when you select the box "install ipad...."

jpborn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Wow, it worked!

Thanks Crystal-RX and everyone else who helped out. I did indeed upgrade the baseband using redsn0w and put in my new sim, I only got one bar first then restarted and low and behold full set of bars, like the red sea was parting...thanks so much you guys are awesome, if anybody needs any assistance let me know!

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Wow, it worked!

Thanks Crystal-RX and everyone else who helped out. I did indeed upgrade the baseband using redsn0w and put in my new sim, I only got one bar first then restarted and low and behold full set of bars, like the red sea was parting...thanks so much you guys are awesome, if anybody needs any assistance let me know!

Congrat! glad you bring your Iphone back to life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.