How To Jailbreak iOS 5

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bb25, Oct 12, 2011.

1. machasm macrumors member

This is a tethered JB for those that may rush in.

2. rwd hero macrumors 6502

Thanks for the links, I may give iOS5 a shot now.

3. rmul86 macrumors 6502

Everytime I do a tethered redsn0w jailbreak, cydia icon shows up blank and does not work...

4. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, enjoy the tethered jailbreak, cydia apps that don't work. Hmmm nahhh.

I'll stick with 4.3.3 while you guys feel the pain of early adoption. :D

5. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Same. As much as it pains me (a bunch of my friends have upgraded/are upgrading), I'm gonna have to wait. :D

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

How hard would it be to "unjailbreak" after doing this? I just need to get some files off my iPad (imported about 30 videos from peoples cameras on a trip using the camera connection kit that iPhoto nor Image Capture will pull off the iPad for some reason, so I figure I'll just SFTP in and grab the files) and then want to go back to regular, unjailbroken OS 5 (to avoid the tethered boot).

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Just restore.

----------

Just tried the Jailbreak. It's honestly not even worth it. The springboard crashes every time. I can't even get winterboard to work. I'll just wait for the untethered :eek:

8. Mymacwill macrumors newbie

Ha! I want to pull the trigger, but my 3Gs will have to wait until february, when i get my upgrade. There is no way that iOS 5, will be that great on them anyways. Good call!

9. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

10. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

I just had to boot in tethered again for it to appear. Seems like I had to do that before when I tried the tethered jb. Been working fine so far.

I have bitesms that works great with iMessage. Also have fiveicondock, sbsettings, folder closer, call bar, bytafont, activator and ifile.

11. jw6961 macrumors regular

jw6961

You need to jailbreak again, but uncheck “Install Cydia” and instead check “Just boot tethered right now” option and hit “Next” with your iPhone connected to your PC or Mac. And yes, you will have to do this every time when your device reboots or loses power.

12. nickrinaldi macrumors regular

u know if 3g unrestrictor works, or bosspaper or coptic (formally cyntanct)

13. Synergie, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

Synergie macrumors 6502a

Can someone answer a question pls? I have jailbroken since day 1 that I had an iPhone, but never tethered. I understand that it needs to be plugged and boot tethered if you reboot the device,... but what about repspring? Can you still respring without tethered? (like to change a winter board theme for example) or do you need to be tethered every time you repspring too, or is it just full reboots??

I will still probably wait for untethered though anyway. And hope that my two main apps are fully ios5 compatible: LockInfo and SBSettings. I can do without the themes for a bit but I really really want Live Clock and Weather Icon to work too!

Edit: Looks like I am out for now... LockInfo not working yet with iOS5, and iOS 5 does not display weather and calendar apts on the lock screen as far as I can see. :( And I am a Mobile Me customer too... so I am feeling kind of forced to upgrade soon! (Though I do still have access to MM till next June... but they are really pushing moving us over to iCloud and to use iCloud you need iOS5) Grrrrrr

14. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

You can respring or restart on a tethered jailbreak. Just can't reboot. I jb on iOS5 and only had to plug it in twice during setup 6 hours ago. Haven't had any problems since.