Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noahgabriel78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
Hi all,

I have been trying to jailbreak and unlock my Iphone 3G (2.1) using Pwnagetool 2.1 and QuickPwn. The problem is that the sleep/wake button of my Iphone is not working (and Mac will not repair it since the problem is due to an accidental damage), so I simply can't put it in DSU mode when Pwnagetool asks me to do so :-(

There are a couple of free apps that allow to turn off or reboot the Iphone without using the buttons but of course I need to jailbreak the phone to be able to install them.

Does anyone knows another way to restart the phone in DSU mode without using the buttons (on Mac or PC)? Or, in general, is anyone aware of another jailbreak/unlock procedure that does not require using the sleep/wake button? Would Winpwn work?

Otherwise I guess the only solution is to replace the button but I wanted to make sure there is no other solution before doing that.

It's a tricky situation, I have no clue what to do.
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advace.

Noah

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
I've read that ZiPhone can kick the phone into DFU mode, but it's also known to cause instability if you use it to jailbreak (and it doesn't work with 3G anyway), so even though you can use it to put the phone into DFU mode, use QuickPwn to jailbreak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.