How to jailbreak iPhone 3G w/o SIM

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by profinite, Sep 25, 2010.

1. profinite macrumors member

Since I have moved onto an iPhone 4, I have taken out the SIM from my old iPhone 3G as it is of course no longer recognized in the iPhone 3G. Therefore, this iPhone 3G is now essentially an iPod touch with a camera. The iPhone 3G has been Jailbroken with iOS 4.0.1.

As I attempt to Jailbreak this iPhone 3G with sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 and iOS 4.1, do I still follow the instructions for the iPhone 3G as posted at the link below? But, then how would I deal with Step 6 (Activate the phone)?

http://www.iphoneheat.com/2010/09/j...rom-iphone-3g-on-ios-4-1-with-sn0wbreeze-2-0/

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you're willing to downgrade 3.1.x, you should be able to hacktivate with redsnow. IIRC, 4.0.1 doesn't mess with the baseband, so you should be good.

3. profinite thread starter macrumors member

Oh, I see. Well, let me think about it.

iOS 4.1 brings a lot of enhancement to iPhone 3G. So, I need to weigh pros and cons of going back to iOS 3.x.

Thanks for pointing it out to me!

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Doesn't the latest redsnow hactivate a 3G on 4.1?
    It is Mac only for now though.

5. Liberty. macrumors 6502

Just wait for the next Pwnagetool and you're ready to go.

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

When I still had the 3G and had temporarily upgraded to 4.0, it was slower than molasses. When I sold the phone to a co-worker, I warned her against upgrading to 4.0.1; She took my advice.
    Unless I've missed some development, 4.1 will make your phone stutter.
    If you do have a Mac, then follow Applejuiced's advice. He (she?) is very knowledgeable about all things iPhone and stays abreast on the latest happenings.