How to jailbreak iPhone 4.1 for beginners/idiots?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by macbook123, Oct 29, 2010.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

After spending about 30 minutes on this forum I've come to the conclusion that this information is scattered in various places but as far as I can tell

a) it is complicated to understand for a beginner, i.e. it has not become clear to me whether all benefits of jailbreaking will be supported under 4.1, or what is the best software to chose to do the jailbreak.

b) the information provided about this in various threads seems inconsistent/not up-to-date/centered around older iOS'es or older iPhone's than the iPhone 4.

Since the iPhone 4 is the most rapidly selling phone, and the majority of people looking at this forum have already upgraded to iOS 4.1, I am wondering if anybody can post the fastest as well as the most reliable route here, together with a brief description of which benefits of jailbreaking will be available to those of us who already upgraded to 4.1.

Thanks.

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

go to limerain.com

hit your respective operating system, run program...and do the on screen prompts. easy as pie.

3. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

The information is here, and you just need to do some research. It is not that complicated either. Sounds like you've done enough to confuse yourself, now double that amount of research and I'll bet it becomes a little clearer. We can't do everything for you.

Having said that, there are many variables including whether you are on a Mac or PC, whether you require your phone to be unlocked or not (or want it unlockable for resale purposes), etc.

There are few things in 4.1 jailbroken that you can't do from previous jailbreaks, so I wouldn't let that be a concern.

Your options are:

Use Pwnage Took 4.1.2 if you are a Mac person. (Will preserve current baseband if you didn't already upgrade to 4.1 straight from Apple. Sounds like you are already there so this is no additional benefit)

Use Limera1n

Use Greenpois0n

I personally used Limera1n this time around and my jailbreak at 4.1 is as stable as any I've done so far. I don't see the downside of doing this to your iP4.

p.s. You said 30 minutes of research. I did a couple of weeks before I felt like taking the plunge into the jailbreak world. Now it's a very comfortable place :)

4. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, but I don't want to pay for jailbreaking the phone.

5. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Why would you have to pay to unlock your phone. No one here is suggesting that.

6. dgstan macrumors 6502a

I don't think "idiots" should be jailbreaking their phones. I'm not too sure about "beginners" either.

Anyone who is unable to find answers to their basic JB questions - whether it is here or elsewhere in the Googleverse - probably isn't savvy enough to take part in the jailbreak. I don't mean to say the OP fits this description, just a general observation from taking part in this forum for several months now.

7. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

This is the ultimate case of too damn lazy to read. Jeeze, there is minimal information on the limera1n page: a water drop logo, windows logo, mac logo and a donate button.

8. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

My bad. I meant Dummies, not idiots. Anyway, I was just looking for the fastest way to get started for what's probably the most common hardware/software combo: iP4+iOS4.1. I decided to go with pwnage tool 4.2.1. I did a decent amount of research before but the information out there could benefit from some centralization. Just my personal opinion, no offense to anybody.

Quick question, I backed up my phone contents and settings. Is it OK do restore it to those settings/contents after the jailbreak, or will this erase apps that were part of my custom jailbroken iOS built?

9. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

After you JB, is there anything you guys suggest doing? Like are there any killer apps that are worth buying from Cydia that you recommend? BiteSMS seems pretty cool but I dont know yet if its worth dropping the 4.99

10. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

It's less problematic if you don't restore from a backup. It does cause issues. Try it, maybe you'll get lucky.

11. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Geez, how about a little less abrasiveness? No need for personal attacks, if you hate me you don't have to respond. I'm sorry for upsetting you. I misunderstood the limerain site and followed a google ad link that to me appeared like a part of the site that lead to a different URL (which I didn't notice) that charges money.

12. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

So you'd suggest copying the apps I bought in the app store back over from iTunes instead? Same with the files/photos?

13. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Great, a random selection (yet the majority) of my bought apps have disappeared. I suppose I did something wrong.

14. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

OP, the folks told you to go to limerain.com instead of limera1n.com that’s how you ended up at the wrong place. And I agree that some VERY basic info is over looked after pointing a person to a jailbreak site.

Questions that I never see as part of the discussion are:
    1) What happens when 4.2 or any new firmware from Apple comes out? Where do jailbreakers get the new jailbroken firmware?

2)What are the steps for a firmware update? Does your current settings remain in tact with each update? Your custom lock screen etc...

3) Yes, you can still sync with iTunes and the apps you bought in the app store but what about any apps that you bought off Cydia? Where do you put those apps?

I think that pretty much sums up what most people end up asking.

15. crazycanucks macrumors regular

1. You update your firmware from itunes and you jailbreak with whoever has developed the JB. for 4.1 it was Limera1n and Greenpoison. You will know when the new JB is out if you come here, or search fopr iphone dev

2. Say yes to update new firmware from apple when connected to itunes. You will lose your current JB. there are mutiple people saying they accidently upgraded their firmware in this forum. Maybe you need to search a little harder. Apple.com and Google.com has these steps.

3. itunes will always be synced provided you enter your account info.
    You will have to d'/l apps from Cydia again.

Its not hard. Google and searching this forum provided with all those answers I listed. People are lazy. The worst thing that happened was the userland JB in which 1 click an the JB was done and people who have no concept what a JB is or dont even know why they should be doing were jb'ing.

16. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

But I've read that you can just sync with iTunes by clicking the check box that says to sync them. I've also read you may need AppSync or APTbackup installed in order to sync the apps.

Say I don't do it those ways. I didn't create an account when I JB... at least I don't remember. So say I have paid apps, how does that work?

17. crazycanucks macrumors regular

Itunes doesnt care about cydia apps. Itunes only cares about app store apps
    After jailbreak if you dont have pkgbackup, then you will have to re-install all your cydia apps. That just the way it is.

If your looking for help with appsync and installous and cracked apps noone will probably help you here as it is cracked apps and is against forum rulez. Google or youtube is your friend at that point if thats what your really trying to probe (which I think you are)
    You gotta do some work yourself too if you are interested in JB. Noone is going to walk and hold your hand through this.
    It's fun to do trail and error, and seeing what you like. I have been jb since 3G and there was no guides I did it through testing and finding out what I wanted on my iphone.

18. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

I agree. And thanks for this thread

19. California King macrumors 65816