Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antxc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Hi Guys,

I am about to buy a second hand iPhone 4s running stock iOS 5.1.1. I would like to jailbreak this devices once I get it and would like to know if it is possible without first restoring in iTunes?

I remember when Absinthe 2.0 was first released there were issues (people were getting a 'something seems to have gone wrong' error message) jailbreaking without having first restored to stock firmware in iTunes and then jailbreaking. Has this issue been fixed in the later Absinthe releases?

I am hoping to be able to use Absinthe 2.0.4, erase all settings and content from within the iPhone settings.app and then jailbreak. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I have successfully jailbroken multiple devices which had many gigs of data using redsn0w. When using absinthe the jailbreak was successful more often than not when there was little data. But either program will work.

Do you know who you're buying this from? Did this person save the shsh blobs? If you know the shsh hash and apticket were saved and you can have them emailed to you, then if you wait a few days (weeks?) until the new redsn0w is released you'll be able to re-install 5.1.1. If not then just go ahead and jailbreak it with absinthe or redsn0w.

antxc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
I know I cannot restore it to 5.1.1 as it is not signed but does the new Absinthe release fix the 'something seems to have gone wrong' error that people were receiving while trying to jailbreak without restoring in iTunes?

Basically, can anyone confirm 100% that erasing all settings and content on the phone itself and then jailbreaking will work?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
You will be taking some risk doing a jailbreak on an unrestored phone.
Worst case scenario, you will have to upgrade to iOS6 if it fails and sit there waiting for a jailbreak.

antxc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
I have successfully jailbroken multiple devices which had many gigs of data using redsn0w. When using absinthe the jailbreak was successful more often than not when there was little data. But either program will work.

Which version of Absinthe did you do this with? When I tried to jailbreak my iPad 3 with 2.0 is failed everytime, until I restored the stock firmware.

And I do not know if the device was been jailbroken previously, so unsure as to whether or not the SHSH blobs have been saved or not. I will find out though..

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Which version of Absinthe did you do this with? When I tried to jailbreak my iPad 3 with 2.0 is failed everytime, until I restored the stock firmware.

And I do not know if the device was been jailbroken previously, so unsure as to whether or not the SHSH blobs have been saved or not. I will find out though..

Check post #2 for answer.

antxc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
You will be taking some risk doing a jailbreak on an unrestored phone.
Worst case scenario, you will have to upgrade to iOS6 if it fails and sit there waiting for a jailbreak.

I understand the risk. I just don't know for sure if it is even possible.. And as you said, the worst case scenario is I have to deal with a non-jailbroken phone for a while.

----------

Check post #2 for answer.

Wow, this thread is moving fast! Thanks for the tip. I guess all I can do is try and hope for the best.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I understand the risk. I just don't know for sure if it is even possible.. And as you said, the worst case scenario is I have to deal with a non-jailbroken phone for a while.

----------

Wow, this thread is moving fast! Thanks for the tip. I guess all I can do is try and hope for the best.

I've had tremendous success jailbreaking with redsn0w on non-freshly restored devices. Absinthe always errored out on me in this type of situation. If absinthe fails and you aren't force to restore, try redsnow. But like dhlizard said, and you understand, there's always that risk. Good luck and keep us posted.

antxc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Do you know who you're buying this from? Did this person save the shsh blobs? If you know the shsh hash and apticket were saved and you can have them emailed to you.

How do you go about sending someone the SHSH Blobs?

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
How do you go about sending someone the SHSH Blobs?

the previous owner has to have done it and saved them on his computer then it's as simple as emailing any file. if you contact the guy and he has no idea what shsh blobs are then you can presume you are sol on it. ;)

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
If previous owner took time to save them, they are also stored on the Cydia server.
I recommend before trying to "send" them, plug the phone into TinyUmbrella, Advancd Tab check request hash from Cydia and then save on front page.
Chances are, if previous owner saved them, you will get them.

antxc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Awesome. Thank you. I will chase up the previous owner and find out if he saved them.

antxc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
I am impatient and don't have the phone yet :p

Got my answer though - he didn't save his blobs though so looks like there will be no restoring 5.1.1 even when redsn0w releases that feature.

antxc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
This might be a noobish question but I don't have any experience.

This iPhone that I will be aquiring is locked to a carrier in Australia. Is there any untility, out there that can unlock the phone for me? I see there is a tool called SAM out there that claims to unlock a 4s but I cannot find any information on whether or not it works here in Australia.

antxc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Turns out the carrier it was locked to will unlock for free :D

I've had tremendous success jailbreaking with redsn0w on non-freshly restored devices. Absinthe always errored out on me in this type of situation. If absinthe fails and you aren't force to restore, try redsnow. But like dhlizard said, and you understand, there's always that risk. Good luck and keep us posted.

I thought I would try the latest redsn0w first and it worked like a charm. Maybe I am imagining things but jailbreaking through redsn0w felt twice as fast as Absinthe. Couldn't have taken more than 30sec.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Turns out the carrier it was locked to will unlock for free :D

I thought I would try the latest redsn0w first and it worked like a charm. Maybe I am imagining things but jailbreaking through redsn0w felt twice as fast as Absinthe. Couldn't have taken more than 30sec.

Awesome! Congrats. Enjoy your unlocked and jailbroken iPhone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.