Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fenderbendr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
Ok, so the home button on my iPod touch 4g has been broken for a while. I've been using the home button in Assistive touch an alternative and its been working well. I'm now getting tired of it as it takes up a chunk of my screen and is getting annoying.

I know there's a way to enter dfu mode without using the home button via the dfu ipsw mode on an older version of redsnow. I've tried that method before with no success. It said the version wasn't compatible or something and when I tried to enter dfu mode via an iTunes restore, it didn't work. I'd like to jailbreak my device when the new 6.1 jailbreak comes out.

So I have a few questions:

What is the best and latest method of jailbreaking without a home button?

If I do get a working jailbreak, I know you can set a different button as a home button. When the device is in sleep mode, will the button I mapped as the home button register?

Any advice would be great.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Ok, so the home button on my iPod touch 4g has been broken for a while. I've been using the home button in Assistive touch an alternative and its been working well. I'm now getting tired of it as it takes up a chunk of my screen and is getting annoying.

I know there's a way to enter dfu mode without using the home button via the dfu ipsw mode on an older version of redsnow. I've tried that method before with no success. It said the version wasn't compatible or something and when I tried to enter dfu mode via an iTunes restore, it didn't work. I'd like to jailbreak my device when the new 6.1 jailbreak comes out.

If I do get a working jailbreak, I know you can set a different button as a home button. When the device is in sleep mode, will the button I mapped as the home button register?

If the new jailbreak requires you to be in the DFU mode first then there are programs to help you with that. For now, just calm down and be patient.

fenderbendr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
If the new jailbreak requires you to be in the DFU mode first then there are programs to help you with that. For now, just calm down and be patient.

Thanks, I'm not mad or anything, not sure why you think I am.

I'll wait until the jailbreak is released then before worrying about this.

maccompatible

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Thanks, I'm not mad or anything, not sure why you think I am.

I'll wait until the jailbreak is released then before worrying about this.

Not being calm does not equate to being angry, not sure why you think he said that.

On topic, I don't think absinthe required a home button or DFU mode. We'll see if the 6.1 jailbreak is as easy.

fenderbendr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
Not being calm does not equate to being angry, not sure why you think he said that.

On topic, I don't think absinthe required a home button or DFU mode. We'll see if the 6.1 jailbreak is as easy.

I'm new here so I'm sorry if you misinterpreted what I said. I'm very eager and not at all angry.

That's good news if it doesn't require dfu mode.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
The tool may not require DFU mode, this is true. But having access to DFU is integral in the jailbreak process in case maintenance is required, IMO.

Redsn0w has the ability to put your phone into "soft DFU" mode without hardware required, but personally I don't like that method. It sounds like you tried it and agree.

Your best bet, is to maybe try the genius bar? How long out of warranty is it? Sometimes you get lucky.

fenderbendr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
The tool may not require DFU mode, this is true. But having access to DFU is integral in the jailbreak process in case maintenance is required, IMO.

Redsn0w has the ability to put your phone into "soft DFU" mode without hardware required, but personally I don't like that method. It sounds like you tried it and agree.

Your best bet, is to maybe try the genius bar? How long out of warranty is it? Sometimes you get lucky.

The iPod is literally on its last limb. Its two years old, has a small blob of stuck pixels that I can't get rid of on the screen, and it's far out of warranty. It probably wouldn't be worth it to fix the home button at this point. I'm planning on upgrading when/if the new IPad mini comes out. :D

So I'll just wait and see what this jailbreak brings.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
The iPod is literally on its last limb. Its two years old, has a small blob of stuck pixels that I can't get rid of on the screen, and it's far out of warranty. It probably wouldn't be worth it to fix the home button at this point. I'm planning on upgrading when/if the new IPad mini comes out. :D

So I'll just wait and see what this jailbreak brings.

Darn that stinks.

Well eBay is your friend and I'm sure you could find an iPod Touch 4 for less than $100.

fenderbendr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
Darn that stinks.

Well eBay is your friend and I'm sure you could find an iPod Touch 4 for less than $100.

Meh, I think I'll just hold out until I upgrade. I'll try really hard to get it jailbroken when it's released.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Go to settings/ general/ accessibility / turn on assisted touch

Great, thats what he was using already…

@OP
You mentioned th DFU IPSW on older redsn0w, that is still an option under Extras/Even more/DFU IPSW

Might give it another shot on latest redsn0w.

What you might have to do is download both the 6.0 and the 6.1 IPSW.

First in redsn0w goto Extras/Select IPSW and select the 6.0 IPSW
Thand go to Extras/even more/DFU IPSW and select the 6.1 IPSW

redsn0w is still not optimized for anything newer than 6.0 and this is the workaround.

fenderbendr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
Great, thats what he was using already…

@OP
You mentioned th DFU IPSW on older redsn0w, that is still an option under Extras/Even more/DFU IPSW

Might give it another shot on latest redsn0w.

What you might have to do is download both the 6.0 and the 6.1 IPSW.

First in redsn0w goto Extras/Select IPSW and select the 6.0 IPSW
Thand go to Extras/even more/DFU IPSW and select the 6.1 IPSW

redsn0w is still not optimized for anything newer than 6.0 and this is the workaround.
Yeah, I have already created a 6.1 dfu with the latest redsnow to be ready in case the new jailbreak tool requires dfu mode.

I'm pretty sure that's the problem I had last time. It said that redsnow only supports the x.0 versions. I'll try you're method though.

tomzvvip

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2013

you can do it. my blog has a tutorial that can jailbreak iOS 6 with broken button. but u can't just boot. so u must rejailbreak.
http://fanboy31.blogspot.com/2013/04/hi-today-i-want-to-post-about-how-to.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.