How to jump from iPhone 4 to Blackberry Bold

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ptheo27, Jul 18, 2011.

1. ptheo27 macrumors member

ptheo27

I had my old iPhone 3gs sitting around and I swapped it for a new blackberry bold and some cash. Now that everyone has BBM these days I wanna jump back and fourth between my iPhone 4 and Blackberry Bold whenever I feel like using BBM. After doing some research I found out that the iPhone's micro sim-card does not fit in any Blackberries so I ordered a sim-card adapter to resolve this issue. As I am waiting around for my sim-card adapter to come in the mail, I am now wondering if I have to change my plan to use BBM? I live in Canada and I am with Rogers. I have an iPhone plan I think which includes data. Even though i'm on a iPhone plan, can I use the current plan i'm on and still use BBM without changing my plan? If not, are there anyways to do get around it, maybe like a jailbreak for blackberry or something? Bottom line is, I just want to use my blackberry for BBM. If anyone is currently swapping between there iPhone and Blackerry, whats the best way to do it without changing plans? or will BBM work with the data plan I am already on?

Thanks!

2. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

The Blackberry Bold is obsolete...bad decision. In 2 months, iOS5 and iMessage will be released and you'll see all the social butterflies who are sticking with Blackberry solely for BBM swarm to the iPhone. Book it.

3. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

As far as I know blackberry services need to be enabled.
    My provider VodafoneIN has diff plans for bb and iPhone . I use iPhone without their plans :p but my bb needs bb services to function. $15 a month for it unlimited usage ;)
    I have two diff connections btw :)

4. ptheo27 thread starter macrumors member

ptheo27

haha ya i know everyone will be going to the iPhone in the fall. the iphone will always be be number one phone :apple: but i wanna try and use a blackberry before they go out of business!

5. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

i'm not sure there is a way for you to use a Iphone data plan and still use BBM on your Bold. I was under the impression you needed a BB Data plan to get access to the Blackberry Network.

6. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

All 'trying to use a BB' is gonna do, is make you wish you hadn't gone to all the trouble; it will also just make you appreciate your iPhone that much more.

How on earth RIM is still in business is, to me, a mystery.

7. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

They had a monster market share and were ingrained in all businesses across the world. Their market share & profits are slowly dwindling.

8. amps macrumors member

Unless they changed something recently, Blackerry plans work fine with the iPhone, just setup a Blackberry plan, switch the sim to whichever phone you want to use. The only thing that won't work in the iPhone is the visual voice mail.

An iPhone plan will not work in the Blackberry since it needs to connect to the Blackberry network.

9. dylanursula macrumors 6502

I did for almost 2 years - works like a charm!

10. ptheo27 thread starter macrumors member

ptheo27

so basically i just call rogers and switch to a blackberry data plan (which would be even cheaper then an iphone plan) and that way i can use both my iphone and blackberry? by doing this will i be able to use everything on my iphone since thats my primary phone??

11. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Because there are more countries in the world than USA?

Seriously though, in my native country people will only consider your handset to be a high end if it is a Nokia E series or a Blackberry Bold/Curve. Even iPhone isn't that much popular despite it being used by a few. But then people's lifestyle is somewhat different in different places.

RIM will go out of business once it loses market share in all countries, not just the USA. Asian markets are a behemoth compared to North America.

12. walie macrumors 6502a

90% of the people on this forum aren't aware of that

13. jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

This is correct, however you will also lose visual voicemail.

14. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

If it weren't for all those countries, where would we borrow our money? :rolleyes:

15. mms13 macrumors 6502

You want to 'jump' from an iPhone to a Blackberry...?

The better idea would be jumping off a bridge.

16. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Get BB services provisioned on the SIM and it will work fine in the iPhone. I do it all the time.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

iMessage is a knock off BBM service at best. Knock off are not as good as the orginal and from what I understand it is lacking a lot of the features that BBM has.
    Well you have the enterprise world and BES which Blackberry blow the iPhone out of the water in terms of security and enterprise controls. Also in terms of a communication device (email, phone calls, txt messages) blackberry is by far the best.
    Blackberry tend to be poor to suck at web browsing and apps but in terms of communications they are by far the best in that department.

18. Savor Suspended

Savor

I don't see why people are questioning RIM. Some people are still sticking to BlackBerry because it still features a physical QWERTY which some people prefer.

I don't see the problem with having two different platforms in the household. My brother has a MacBook Pro, but still keeps his PC around. People can go get an iPad 2 to fulfill their iOS fix and still own an Android phone which gives you the best of both worlds. No big deal in owning multiple brands and platforms.

19. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I believe that you can just call your carrier and have the iPhone data plan switched to the BB data plan at will. This may or may not be limited to once per billing cycle.

20. dom9360 macrumors newbie

dom9360

The quick answer is that it'll work without issues (data plan wise). Some people are posting that you will 'require' a special blackberry plan. This is only true if you are using a Blackberry Enterprise Server in a corporate environment, which does not sound like it. And, that would require a plan change if that were true.

There are, also, rumors that RIM may be releasing BBM for iOS. This may be a mute point because Apple is releasing iMessage, which allows for similar communications between all iDevices.

Good luck.