Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevenash13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2013
Hi guys,

I actually already settled on a new Macbook Air and was just about to order. The moment I had to pull the trigger I hesitated and now I'm not that sure anymore.

I own a full functional 13" Asus Laptop as a secondary machine. Actually it does everything I want it to do. Surfing the web, doing office work and occasionally watching a movie.
Next month I'm going abroad for quite some time and it will be my main machine. For this reason I planned to buy a $1000 Mac and dump the Asus (resale value only about 150$ I think).

When I was asked why I need to buy a new laptop when my old one is still fine my answer was that a Mac is more comfortable to use. I'm sure I will be happy with the Mac but does this justify an 1000$ upgrade for no good reason?

Now guys help me out, I know I want it, I know you want me to get one so please provide me some good reasons why I should pull the trigger and forget about the 1000$. How do you justify buying the newest Mac while your old one is still good?

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Now guys help me out, I know I want it, I know you want me to get one so please provide me some good reasons why I should pull the trigger and forget about the 1000$. How do you justify buying the newest Mac while your old one is still good?

I think I'm gonna play the party crasher here: You have zero justification to burn money on a new notebook, because, as you said yourself, your current machine is doing everything you need.

My advice: When you're out of the country, spend the 1000 bucks on good food, drinks and quality time with people that are close to you. If that doesn't work for you, save the money or donate it to your local animal shelter - that's a much better purpose than buying a shiny toy that you don't really need.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
If you can't easily afford it, it isn't. If you can afford it, why look for justification. It's your money, you earned it, spend it how you choose.

Tarrou8

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2013

Do you seriously think that any/all of us here represent Apple and its interests? I could care less whether or not you or anyone else decides to buy Apple products. Going online to ask strangers whether you should buy things you clearly don't need (that you yourself make explicit) is up there on the pantheon of internet absurdity.

MBP17er

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
Tokyo, Japan
Hi guys,

I actually already settled on a new Macbook Air and was just about to order. The moment I had to pull the trigger I hesitated and now I'm not that sure anymore.

I own a full functional 13" Asus Laptop as a secondary machine. Actually it does everything I want it to do. Surfing the web, doing office work and occasionally watching a movie.
Next month I'm going abroad for quite some time and it will be my main machine. For this reason I planned to buy a $1000 Mac and dump the Asus (resale value only about 150$ I think).

When I was asked why I need to buy a new laptop when my old one is still fine my answer was that a Mac is more comfortable to use. I'm sure I will be happy with the Mac but does this justify an 1000$ upgrade for no good reason?

Steve

Get a 17 inch MBP classic from 2010-2011 while you can. It will be harder in a few years.

You cannot upgrade from these machines. They take 8 or 16 GB ram and are fast enough for anything you can throw at them.

Get an Anti Glare with 1080 screen.

You cannot upgrade from a machine like that, it's that simple.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
If your current laptop is fine, then keep it. Assuming the asus is x86 the only unnecessary upgrade that you would want is to upgrade to a PowerPC, because if it isn't PowerPC, it's a powerless PC.

glutenenvy

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
WA
If you are traveling, save your money to buy new equipment after someone on the plane sits on your old computer. Crossing borders you face the possibility of having your equipment confiscated. I'd rather loose a $150 computer compared to a $1000 computer.

stevenash13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2013
Wow, didnt expect that. I reckon some of you usually get the newest MacBook once a new gen is released so I thought you can help me justify my unreasonable wish for an upgrade.

But thanks a lot. I agree with you. While I actually dont need a justification in order to buy something, I might be better of investing it somewhere else.

And yeah, while I wasnt worried about anything getting confiscated, I was afraid it might get stolen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.