how to justify getting an ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macmastersam, Jun 16, 2012.

1. macmastersam, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

macmastersam macrumors 6502a

so, i am in this dilemma here, whether to get the new ipad or not. I am hoping to buy the WiFi only 16GB model. I currently own a desktop PC and an iPhone 3GS GB, which will be upgraded when the iPhone 5 comes out. i am thinking about buying an ipad because i like the extra screen space to be playing all my favourite apps like minecraft and GTA, which I find too small for an iPhone screen of my calibre, and would rather use apps that i think more more suited to my iPhone, like Facebook and temple run. What also tempts me to get the ipad is the upcoming siri for it in iOS 6.

so to sum it up: i will be using the ipad for games, portable internet, music, youtube and probably some imessaging and facetime.

Now here is that frustrating part: I don't know whether spending £430 (with accessories) would be justifiable given the price and my use for it. All help is appreciated.

thanks!

-sam

* i already have them money for the ipad, and i definatly can afford it if i choose to get it.

2. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

You'll LOVE the iPad and yes, the price is justifiable - after all, most iPad users also "only" play / entertain themselves with their iPad and don't actively make money with it. It;s an incomparably better gaming machine as your 3G S - probably even your desktop PC.

3. jacob-07 macrumors regular

Browsing the web on the iPad vs an iPhone is not comparable. The browsing experience alone I think is justifiable.

4. Coltaine macrumors regular

Coltaine

What justification is needed to buy an iPad?

If you can afford it and want it, go get it.

I didn't buy the iPad for quite a while, when it first came out, because I couldn't find any proper reasons for getting one.
    Once, I got it, I knew, why it was justified.
    So will you.

5. jlwilsonjr macrumors member

Worth every penny

I was in the same boat a few months ago. I really WANTED a ipad didn't reallt need it as I have a iphone 4, macbook pro and a mini. I bought the ipad 2 and wow I use this thing all the time! I rarely use my iphone/macbook for general duties. I can guarantee you will be glad you bought one. So what are you waiting for........

6. Rychy, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

Rychy macrumors 6502

If you want one and can afford it, get it.

I've found lots of uses for my iPad that I never thought of before I bought it. The screen size really does make a difference, I'd rather use iPad over iPhone for pretty much everything non-phone related ( and Facebook for some reason ).

7. -TYLER macrumors regular

If you want a iPad but don't want to send as much look at the refurbished iPad 2's from apple, new glass, battery etc, eh look brand new.

$320 for 16gb
    $399 for 32gb

You need to keep checking the site, they get them in at random times

8. dancj macrumors 6502

I was in the same situation before I got mine a coule of months ago, and as others have said, you won't regret it. I barely touch my PC any more.

I'd be careful about the size though. If you're using apps, music or video that's in danger of being a squeeze.

9. macmastersam thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Please get the new one, the Retina display is simply worth the money, I am 64, TRUST the old fart, I LOVE IT !

11. macmastersam thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not even putting the iPad 2 into consideration :) iPad 3 or nothing :D

12. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

That entirely depends on how much you make. If you're making min wage then if you want to lose a few weeks of going out and having spending money then that is a personal decision. If you make a good living then by all means... But then again you wouldn't be asking on a forum. You would probably just get one if you could really afford it.

13. macmastersam thread starter macrumors 6502a

i don't work i save up out of my allowance that i get every week. Plus, i already have the money for a new ipad, i just want some help justifying why should get it for the amount of money need to pay for it.

EDIT: my apologies, i didnt mention in my first post that i already have the money for it, whoops :S

14. TLewis macrumors 65816

I'll second everything that's been said here, and add one more tidbit: once you get the iPad, you'll probably find that you'll be using the iPhone less. Ever since I got the iPad, the iPhone basically became a backup iPad for when I don't have the iPad with me. (And some people may find that they don't even need a smartphone with an iPad.)

15. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Agree strongly with this. The 16 gig is just too small. I will upgrade next time and go for wifi and largest size they do. I also only use my PC for work. All leisure is done on the iPad.

----------

Again I agree this is the case. iPhone is used when out and about or my wife or daughter have stollen the iPad.

16. TLewis macrumors 65816

Oh, yah. My wife stole my iPad, and I had to get her one for her birthday, or I'd never have gotten it back. :eek: :eek:

17. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

That's just silly! For 35% less money (if you buy a refurb iPad 2), you get 90% of the functionality. Buy the 2 and save the surplus towards your next purchase. Trust me once you have had this thing for a while, you'll want the next release just as bad.

We ran the 2 and the 3 side by side in our office and 9 out of 10 people in the office couldn't tell them difference, in fact for games the 2 performed better. Very subjective, I know but you seem like you don't have millions in the bank otherwise you wouldn't be hesitating so I'm giving you the bang for buck argument

18. ougum macrumors regular

Maybe the guy want to play with siri. The iPad 2 is without a doubt a great machine, but if your eyes are working ok, you can tell the difference.

19. macmastersam thread starter macrumors 6502a

yup, that's right :D

As much as it seems gimmicky, i look forward to this, and this is someone that is coming from an iPhone 3GS without siri, so i never got to try it fully w/o siri being confused with what i said for something alse.

As well as that, the retina display impresses me too. sharper quality youtube video, games, etc :D

I mean, i know the ipad 2 is good, but they come in one size, which is 16GB, and like someone else mentioned in their post earlier things like apps, music and video will be 'a bit of a squeeze' onto something of that capacity. i currently have used up 8Gb out of 32GB in the past year of owning my 3GS., just so people know.

20. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

If you want to play with Siri get an iPhone, unless you plan to get the iPad with 4G. The capacity argument doesn't wash because you can still get refurb iPads from Apple in all sizes. Refurbs are as good as the new thing in case you're new to all this. Not my prob, just putting one there for you to think about

21. -TYLER macrumors regular

You can get the refurb iPad 2s in any size, the stock changes on a daily basis because once they have some in stock they sell fast. Also think about how much you would actually use Siri except for the first few days to play around with it...

It also depends what kind of apps you are going to be using for the size.. I have 18gb left on my 32 and I have 50 apps, 6 movies, and 10 songs.

22. kurosov macrumors 6502a

When i got my iPad i was planning on upgrading my phone every 2 years and keeping the iPad for longer.

After using them both i instead opted to keep the 3gs unlocked and get a new iPad. The phone is much less priority now as it mostly gets used just for calls, the odd app and tethering to the iPad.

Definitely worth the cost and much more useful than upgrading a phone.

23. Cheffy Dave, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I am along those same lines,

I have basically dumped most apps, except those I need to run my business,
    Ie; Flight Tracker Pro,Bento,Go to my PC,1 Hurricane app,2 Radar apps, 2 Weather Apps, Garmin Street Pilot, (which I highly recommend) And of course Tethering.
    Most apps are on the iPad 3:cool:

24. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

To answer your question...if you already have the money, there is no justification needed. The iPad experience defies explanation! Just know that once you get it, it will be glued to your side :) :)

As an aside...having had both the iPad 2 and the new ipad, there is simply no comparison. If you can squeeze another $100, get the new iPad, trust me there is a big difference!!!

25. kurosov macrumors 6502a

You will find this happens a lot.

Once family members get hold of it they will soon be hooked. Even my baby nieces like to use mine tapping a way on a xylophone app or flicking through family photos.