How to keep all the data after changing to a New HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xpress1, Jun 28, 2009.

1. xpress1 macrumors newbie

Guys, i will change my HD in my MBP 13" 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 4GB. The standard HD is a 150GB but i want to change to a 500GB 7200RPM, my only concern is how can i transfer all the data from the 150GB to the new 500GB?

2. jp3105 macrumors newbie

If you have an external drive , use it to backup your MBP using Time machine. then when you install your new 500gb drive , boot up from a leopard install cd or the install cd's you got with the MBP.

Go into Disk utility , partition your new 500gb drive how you want it.

Then choose recover using time machine from the drop down menu ( where disk utility was ) and restore your time machine backup to the 500gb drive , job done.

3. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Options..
    1. Use Time Machine to backup your system onto an external hard drive.
    2. Use CC Cloner to make a disk image of your old hard drive and restore it when you install the new one.
    3. Put your old hard drive into a USB/FW enclosure and transfer your files after you install your new hard drive.

4. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Just to add, the time machine backup should be done on an external drive, of course.:D

5. moez macrumors regular

Use SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner to mirror your 150GB hard drive to 500GB harddrive and you are set to go!

6. relativist macrumors regular

I followed the advice on this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=707171

I booted with the install CD, had the 500GB 7200rpm drive in a external enclosure connected via usb, formatted then did the copy, no need for 3rd party programs, just used Disk Utility. Now my original drive is in the external enclosure and connected to my time capsule.

7. xpress1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot!!

thanks guys for your replies, i installation was successful :D.