How to Keep App Data When Upgrading to 3G S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redman042, Jun 12, 2009.

1. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

This might be a unique situation, not sure. I have a 3G and will be getting a 3G S on the 19th. I want to transfer all my apps and their data (game saves, etc.) to the 3G S. But my 3G has OS 2.2.1 on it, while the 3G S will come with 3.0. So I don't think I should just do a restore of my backed up 3G data onto the 3G S, should I? Won' that overwrite the OS and put a lot of junk on the phone?

I don't really want to upgrade my 3G to 3.0 first, mainly because I'm going to eBay it and I want to unlock the phone first.

2. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

You should be able to. After all, when you do a backup before upgrading it restores it on 3.0 if something goes wrong and you need to restore. Same principal.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Apple should include provisions to update 2.2.1 data with the 3.0 structure (which shouldn't be drastically different, either).

4. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68030

redman042

So a restore only restores data and settings, not OS files?

5. gamera~ macrumors member

I believe a "restore" restores the system, but then the sync will install all apps/data/music/etc.

6. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Here's an alternate idea (I'm sure others can correct me if I'm wrong):
    Try updating your 3G to 3.0 on wednesday and then transfer the data over to your 3GS on friday.

But I think Apple may have something set up. If I recall, I think when I set up my 3G on iTunes that I was asked if I wanted to transfer files from my 2G.

7. GTDaveMac macrumors regular

The iPhone OS doesn't accumulate "junk" like you may be used to in Windows (or even Mac OS X).

All apps are sandboxed, and cannot write outside their application bundle.

I think the process is, in fact, to restore from your 2.2.1 backup. However, if you want to feel safe, upgrade to 3.0, as suggested above, first.