How to keep CD info after burning?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by merryxmas, Jun 3, 2008.

1. merryxmas macrumors newbie

Howdy,

This is a problem I haven't been able to fix. When I have an album on my itunes and I make a mix CD it loses all the track info, artist, album name etc. I have tried burning in both itunes and Toast and no matter what when that mix CD is finished it retains no information. Just track 1, track 2, track 3 etc. When it tries to access CDDB it fails to gather any information from there either. So how do I burn a CD and keep all the info on there?! Argh it's so frustrating because my friend gave me a mix CD which I think he burned in WMP and it kept all the information when I loaded it into my itunes...

2. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I knew there was an "Include CD text" checkbox somewhere so I looked under the Burning tab under Advanced. It's checked off on my machine, but grayed out. So I can't check it off if I wanted to. I imagine this is the option you need to enable. Is yours checked off?

PS It's not the whole tab that's grayed out. That's just because it wasn't in focus when I took the screenshot. The whole tab is enabled, it's just the one option that is not.

Attached Files:

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The way the CDDB works is by using the number of tracks and length of each track on a CD to determine what you put in your Mac. When you make a mix CD, it has no idea whats on that CD because its just a collection of random tracks. Sometimes, it will mistakenly match your mix CD with a real CD and try to label it, but thats just a random occurrence and the labels will always be wrong, of course.

CD-TEXT will allow compatible CD players and computers to display the track name and artist info, but thats about it.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Was the mix CD your friend gave and audio CD or was it a collection of MP3 file? MP3 has a place inside the file where this info can be stored but the format used by audio CDs does not

5. merryxmas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies I will have to try that when I get home on mac (checking the box for CD-Text) I'm at work on a PC so I can't currently. The mix cd my friend gave me I'm not entirely sure I'm assuming they were just mp3s.