How to keep custom Stacks icons on top, and still sort by date added?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by todd2000, Feb 23, 2008.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I like to keep my Documents, and Downloads Stacks sorted by "Date Added", and Im trying to use the drawer icons for my stacks. They are working fine for Applications because their sorted by Name, but not Downloads, and Documents. Every time I add something to either folder, it puts it's icon on top of the drawer icon. Is there some way to modify the "Date Added" of the drawer icon and set it to some time in the future or something so that it always stays on top? If not is there any other way to do it?

2. Merlish macrumors member

Well, there is two options:
    Either, there is a neat terminal command, you can prolly find it in any forum archive,
    or
    you can use the app Stacks In Da Place - The downside to this, however, is that you only to front icon, you can't use to, say, make the following two icons transparent or so.

3. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

What is the "neat terminal command?" I have been googling for 2 days, and have only found some Apple scripts that almost work, but they don't work with Safari adding items to the Downloads stack. If your talking about touch, that only changes the modified date, which doesn't help when sorting by date added.

As for Stacks in da place, ann that does is copy an icon file into the stack, and name it " " which I can do by hand, and it doesn't help with the download stack.

PARTIAL SOLUTION: So far I have found this http://justinhileman.info/blog/2007/12/keeping-my-custom-leopard-stack-overlays-in-front, which is a script some guy wrote that almost works, the only problem is Safari. Whenever I DL a file from Safari into the Downloads folder the drawer icon stays on top while the file is downloading, but as soon as it renames from xxxx.download to the actual file name it pops in front of the drawer icon. Something about Safari renaming the file isn't working right with the script. Any ideas on ways around this?

4. Merlish macrumors member

Sure it does?

[​IMG]

5. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

The "Modified Date", is not the same as the "Date Added." I can change the modified date from the terminal using touch, but that still doesn't help when sorting the stack as "Date Added."

6. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Why not just install 10.5.2, change the folder icon of the stack itself and then show it as a folder?

7. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

I might end up doing that, but I like a challenge. :) I kinda like the way the overlays look with documents behind them. Besides I'de have to change the icons in Finder too for that to work, and I'd rather not.

8. Merlish macrumors member

Well, I don't really know how it works, but it does.

9. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Not while keeping the Stack sorted by Date Added it doesn't. Trust me I've tried.

10. bobthecow macrumors newbie

sorry, i haven't been able to fix this one... the stack overlay script relies on folder actions, which fire on certain events. unfortunately it doesn't look like there's a folder action that fires upon renaming a file, which is what safari does after something is finished downloading. so the action fires when the download starts, and the overlay comes to the front. then the download finishes and the downloaded file is renamed, which changes the "date added" value. but no folder action is fired, because no new file was added to the folder, so the newly downloaded file stays in front.

anyone know of a solution to this?

11. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Im working on it. I've got something working, but Im trying to make it prettier. :) Right now I have Safari downloading to a Temp folder, and have a folder action on that folder that moves certain files from that folder to the DLs folder. It works but you have to specify EVERY file type that you DL seperatly in the script on the Temp folder. ex *.dmg, *.zip...... If I just tell it to copy all it copies the .download file and renames it in the DLs folder and were back to the same problem. Im close to getting it to move every file EXCEPT *.download, but between me and my friend we can't quite get it working properly.