how to keep downlod goin while phone is off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phoneme, Dec 18, 2016.

1. phoneme macrumors member

if im downloading a file that will take like 5+ mins i noticed when i my phone goes to sleep the download stops. how do i keep my download running while the phone is off/sleep

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Plug it in to power.
    It should keep the connection and download going.

3. phoneme thread starter macrumors member

lol not very productive there has to be a better way. i also notice that even if i leave that download to browse another site while i wait for the download it stops. i really can't keep my phone connected to power all day long that defeats the purpose of a smartphone

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You said around 5 minutes.
    What kind of download are you talking about that stops if you browse a website?

5. phoneme thread starter macrumors member

it should not matter how long the download is. the phone should just be able to do it. weather it's 1 second download or 1 hour download. my old galaxy phone use to do multiple downloads at the same time with the phone screen off. i would hope this new iphone7 should be able to do it right?

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

iOS is designed where apps aren't really allowed to run indefinitely in the background, with a few exceptions like GPS type of apps (using location services), or music/audio type apps, as well as VoIP apps.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't think it does what you assume it should.
    Just because another device does something a certain way it doesn't mean all smartphones behave the same.
    If you're within your return timeframe you can get a refund.

8. phoneme thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks i will continue to look for an answer to my issue and hope i will find one. i really don't want to take it back but if it can't multi-task then i may have to. thanks for atleast trying to help me.

9. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Also doesn't mean it's sane behavior. I would likey become upset if apps were allowed to run indefinitely in the background.. battery life would inevitably suffer were I to forget something.

10. mrochester macrumors 65816

iOS is designed to stop you doing precisely what you were doing on your old Galaxy phone. Background downloads will be killed after a few minutes to prevent battery drain. There is no way around it on a stock iPhone. It's a conscious design decision and if you don't like it, I strongly suggest you shouldn't own an iPhone.

11. phoneme thread starter macrumors member

if that is the only reason then apple is doing something wrong because even with them cutting off background stuff the battery isn't much better then most other flagship phones out today. and i just may have to take it back. thank's for your advice i may have to take you up on it:)

12. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I don't believe this qualifies as Apple is doing something wrong. Then you made right decision to return your iPhone, because clearly it's not right for you.

13. phoneme thread starter macrumors member

i think your right i guess what i need is a phone for a power user like myself.

14. mrochester macrumors 65816

Well, you need a phone that meets your needs.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    Maybe iOS and the iPhone is not for you. I dont even think the iPhone lets you do multiple downloads at once besides updating app store apps.
    If you're looking at downloading multiple videos or other files at once and let it run for a while when the phone sits there then that's not really an option on iOS.

16. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Actually, that behavior is going to take a heavy toll on any battery-operated device, I would leave this type of thing to a desktop machine. An iPhone is not my idea of "the right tool for the job" here.

17. mrochester macrumors 65816

Yeah I agree. You are probably using the wrong tool if that's what you're trying to do.

18. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

You want an Android phone if you want the phone to d/l in the background.

iOS won't do that reliably.

19. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

not sure if i missed something

but i can dl 2 videos while going on twitter or turning iphone off

the dl's don't stop

not sure what happens when i leave wifi and go on cellular

i will see, but will pause to save data

20. foxconn Suspended

Is background app refresh enabled for that app?

What are you trying to download. Give us more details.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

He never said what he's trying to do with what app or how his download stops if he's browsing another site.
    He's just complaining to complain and missing his galaxy phone.

22. MarkX macrumors regular

MarkX

That's because he is trolling(poorly).

23. macfacts macrumors 68020

macfacts

So now people have to show proof of owning an iPhone before getting taken seriously with problems?

Tons of others in the thread have said that is normal behaviour under iOS, so how is it trolling?

24. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

iOS devices have much smaller batteries than their Samsung, Google and Moto competitors. The 7Plus is about 20% smaller than an S7. So clearly Apple is doing something right to get the same battery life with a smaller battery.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

He never mentioned what he's trying to do exactly what app or how he tries to make multiple downloads or what stops him when he opens a website.
    He just assumed the iPhone should function the same way his old device did. And somehow he cannot multitask but again he didn't explain how and what is stopping him.