how to keep dropbox from prompting me for my password?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by ghanwani, Mar 10, 2017.

1. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

I use dropbox as a cloud folder. Since I installed it on my new machine, every now and then it'll throw up a prompt asking me to enter my userid/password so it can function correctly.

I don't care about any fancy integration with other mac applications.

Is there a way to get dropbox to never prompt me for my mac's password again?

Thanks.

2. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

I've been running Dropbox since its release and I don't recall ever having to enter a password since the very first installation. No update has ever asked for it either. It's odd that your install is just randomly asking for a UN/PW.

Try completely removing it from your System (the app, the preference files, everything), LOG OUT/BACK IN OR RESTART YOUR MAC, then re-installing the Dropbox app.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Great advice above. To make the complete uninstall process a bit easier, drag the Dropbox app into AppCleaner: https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

This will completely remove all related plist files, etc.

4. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

You probably did enter it the first time. Once it has been entered, dropbox will cache it.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/09/d...s-its-mac-desktop-client-hacks-os-x-security/

5. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

That's what I said in the first sentence of my post. The question is, why is YOUR install continuing to ask for a UN/PW. Have you tried deleting the app and the preference files from your system and re-installing? If so, did it work?

6. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

My machine (late 2016 non touch mbp) suffered a RAM failure so it's now at Apple getting a new system board.

But to answer your question--if the password is not entered at install, then it does keep randomly prompting for the password. Upon googling, I found there are several articles about this issue.

7. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

So you've installed the app, but never used it? Because using it even once would require you to enter the UN/PW.

8. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was using it just fine. It needs the password for some advanced features. See the link above.

9. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sneaky dropbox. Today I was in the middle of an macOS update and the prompt showed up. I thought it was due to the macOS update and entered the password. Just as I hit enter, I realized dropbox now has the password to mac!

Dropbox is very smart. They won! And I suspect they win with most mac users.