how to keep internet sharing working with lid closed?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ashjamben, Feb 27, 2010.

1. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

thanks for helping me out

basically i use my macbooks internet sharing, from airport to ethernet, for my xbox as i don't have internet access in my room.

is there a way i can shut the lid of my laptop and let it sleep, but still keep the internet sharing on? i know theres applications that will allow me to keep my computer awake when the lid is shut but thought there might be a way to do it without.

thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For the connection to be maintained, the computer can't be in sleep mode.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The computer has to be awake...

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA22350?viewlocale=en_US

A better option might be to get a wireless gateway, that connects to the wireless network and then provides an ethernet connection for the XBox. They're not expensive, and they make for a more permanent solution.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

InsomniaX might work, but I second the suggestion for a wireless gateway/router.

5. iamvincent macrumors member

insomnia is feasible, but keeping your mac awake while lid is closed might hurt your computer. Do not suggest doing so, you can just use caffeine to keep your mac open while still openning the lid.

6. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I'm in the process of setting up my old MB as a HTPC, i would like to run it with the lid closed while hooked up to the TV. In the past I used insomniaX no problem on it, but now that I've upgraded it to snow leopard it doesn't seem to work. I get an error saying it couldn't load whenever I try, anyone know a fix for this or a possible alternative to insomniaX?

7. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

Apple specifically advertises that you can run MacBooks (and PowerBooks before that) in 'lid-closed' mode. Years ago, I ran my PowerBooks with the lid down for months on end without any problems. So I wouldn't worry about it.

To the OP... you were able to get your Xbox to connect to the internet through ethernet sharing? I've never been able to do that (the xbox would just not get through to the internet).

8. ashjamben thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the replies, insomniax isn't snow leopard compatible. i'd rather it not be awake all of the time, but i suppose just putting the screen to sleep is exactly what i've been doing with the lid open?

dolphin, yes i've been using my macbook for the internet for xbox live for a while now, i can go through how it's set up if you like? will just need to check the settings on my xbox. but, just recently got a new tv that's on my desk as a monitor too. would rather shut my macbook when im playing on my xbox but it's not the end of the world leaving it open.

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Sharing won't work while it's asleep, no way nohow.

10. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

ashjamben, if you could outline any additional steps needed (beyond the basic Internet Sharing setup) to get the Xbox working, I'd be most appreciative. I have a friend with an xbox an it would be good if we could get it online in order to play arcade games. :) Feel free to either reply here or PM me.

11. ashjamben thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. Pothedd macrumors newbie

I'm using my MBP as a wireless router too. It works great for the ps3 but my friend's 360 has a "moderate" nat type (sucks for him). He can still play so it's all right for now.
    But anyway I was using InsomniaX (Legacy edition or whatever it is that works for my version of osx). It kept it awake nonstop until today. Once I unloaded it though, it refused to load again.
    What happened? Anyone know?