How to keep latest Firmware on iPod, before restoring

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by NStocks, Oct 29, 2008.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

I'm putting my 1st genrtion iPod touch on ebay because I have ordered a new version with my MBP ( £95 rebate offer). I want to wipe everything off it, but need to keep the firmware in which I paid for so that the buyer can still use it. Do I have to find it in system files, or can I do it thorugh iTunes somehow with Order History ?

Also, Does restoring the iPod take everything off it, or is there a different format in which to wipe it completley ?

NStocks

2. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

it should, but to be safe, hit settings>general>reset>erase all data and settings

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Unless the new owner of your Touch is planning on using YOUR iTunes account with it they will be required to restore it before using it on their own computer, thus removing any apps and upgrades you have paid for.

All purchases you made are tied to your own iTunes account.

I think it is probably best to be honest about this. ;)

4. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I hav'nt paid for any apps, just the Apple software update. I see the people on ebay are selling the same iPod as mine with the update, but would this get wiped as soon as the new owner syns's their iPod?

NStocks

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Well, I thought so but according to folks in THIS thread it appears that software upgrades are purchased for the device so that even when someone purchases your used Touch and restores it their iTunes will automatically download and install the latest 2.0 firmware.

I guess it is only the apps that get deleted and since you don't own any no worries. ;)

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

best solution to wipe it clean is to firstly make sure you have logged out of the iTunes store then restore the iPod this way your iTunes account details don't go with the iPod (yes I understand they need to know the password to use it but hey I am just sugesting).

as long as the iPod has firmware 2.x on it already the new user will be able to download the firmware for future restoring if they need to.