How to keep mail app from downloading all my emails ?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by anonymous4a, Mar 27, 2014.

1. anonymous4a, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014

anonymous4a macrumors 6502

iphone 7.06 keeps on eating up storage through email. I just installed 7.06 from iOS 5.01 and the mail app is eating up all my storage. I have a lot of unread emails, in the thousands, but before I updated, IOs 5.01 never tried to download all of my unread emails, it would like a number like “300” unread emails. Now iOS 7.06 tries to download all of my unread emails all the time and it tries to list the exact number in the thousands.

I’m constantly getting freeze ups and having to delete something else to have it work properly. Is there anyway to not have IOS 7.06 not try to download all my emails ?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Can you change the days to sync for each mail account to something like just the last month?

3. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

How to keep mail app from downloading all my emails ?

I just installed 7.06 from iOS 5.01 and the mail app is eating up all my storage. I have a lot of unread emails, in the thousands, but before I updated, IOs 5.01 never tried to download all of my unread emails, it would be a number like “300” unread emails. Now iOS 7.06 tries to download all of my unread emails all the time and it tries to list the exact number in the thousands.

I’m constantly getting freeze ups and having to delete something else to have it work properly. Is there anyway to not have IOS 7.06 not try to download all my emails ?

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like you already started another thread about this at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18933618

5. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

so no one else has this problem where the mail app keeps downloading all your unread emails ? I can't even use my phone now. Everything crashes because I have no more storage from the constant downloading all my emails .

6. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

Go into the mail settings through the settings app and have it store emails on the server.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Have you tried what was suggested in the previous thread you created about this?

8. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi, I tried to search on how to store emails on the server but could't find it. Could you tell me how to do it through settings ? Would I lose any of my emails by doing this ?

9. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I just looked and I'm not actually sure. I know I did this a long time ago though. Something like settings>mail>advanced! but that option is not there. Sorry. With some digging I am sure that option is there somewhere. I will mess with things and see where that goes.

10. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

I really need help with this, my mail app keeps taking up all my space. It's the most annoying thing that I've faced with my iphone. Whenever I free up more space, my phone would take it up by constantly downloading all my emails. Anyone know what I could try so that it wouldn't download AS many emails ?

It literally downloads 1000+ emails whenever I open it. I never had this problem coming from 5.01 .

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

What email service are you using?

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Is there a reason why you don't just clean up your e-mails from the email server?

13. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm using yahoo and gmail accounts .

14. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

A problem dowloading all your unread emails - how many unread emails do you have. I know others who have 1000 unread emails and can't understand why - either read them or delete them but why keep unread emails? Sorry but I want a system that will at least download unread emails so I can deal with them.
    As stated - clean up your email

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

So when you go into their settings on your iOS device do you see anything relating to how many days worth or emails you can sync (perhaps in advanced settings or somewhere like that)?

16. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Follow the 3 folder rule and you will avoid a cluttered inbox and clogged mail app sync issues.

Create the following folders:

To-Do: This is where e-mails that require you to do something should be moved to. (For example if you get a reminder to pay your wireless bill in an e-mail).

Waiting: This is where you move an e-mail to that you are "waiting" for something on. For example a conversation going back and forth between you and another person. As long as that conversion is still pending it's still considered "waiting". Another example would be a tracking number email from UPS for a delivery you are waiting for.

Archive: this is where you move e-mails for future reference. Some e-mails from the above 2 folders will end up here unless you choose to delete them.

I follow this system and have literally nothing in my inbox.