Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Hello all, based on another thread on this form, I went out and bought a Drobo and threw 4, 500gb drives in it to host my media and Time Machine back ups for the house. I put that Drobo on my AEBS and share it over my network. It works very nicely.
However, when I go to work, I still want the same performance that I have at the house and afp is not giving me that performance. Choppy video and audio cut-outs are not gonna work. I have my entire iTunes library on the Drobo.
So with portability in mind, I went out and picked up a 500gb WD My Passport drive. Plugged it into my Mac and started copying my iTunes library to the WD. Call me an idiot because I didnt bother to format the drive, I left it at FAT32. I actually did this on purpose because I also want to be able to bring the WD to a friends house or work and share my iTunes library with anyone.

So, I successfully copy over all 200gbs of my iTunes library and change the drive location in iTunes to my new WD. All is well. iTunes is much more responsive as well.

Onto my question, how can I keep a copy of this drive? I buy and upload a lot of music so I can see this being an issue. I would love if Time Machine could somehow do it but it doesnt allow me to back up the drive. Should I just periodically copy and paste the entire drive to my Drobo? I still have a copy of the library on my Drobo for a backup, but I want to keep that copy as current as possible. Any thoughts?

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Definition of "upload"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upload

You don't upload music to harddrive. You ADD to a harddrive.

Search sync files

Im sure you know what I meant. Thanks for the response though.
I know what upload means. I should've said rip, sorry.

My question isnt about ripping, uploading or downloading.
My question is that I have an iTunes library on a FAT32 external HDD and I want to back it up to my Airdisk which is HFS on my AEBS. Ive tried CCC and SuperDuper and neither allow me to select the FAT32 EHDD.

I did try WinClone which kinda worked but not what I was looking for. I would love something automated that only backs up the portion it doesnt already have backed up. If I use WinClone, it makes an image of the entire drive every time.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I will second chronosync. One of the first apps I purchased when I made the switch from pc to apple. One of the main reasons I purchased it was because I wanted to sync over my network to say a firewire/usb attached drive. This does the job and it does quite well. Very pleased with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.