Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nonicali21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2015
Hoping for some guidance. I'm sure this question has already been asked. I'm lost and I am just trying to find out what is my best option at this point. I dropped my Iphone 5s and shattered the screen last night, and that is the phone I have the grandfathered unlimited data package.

line 1: Iphone5s (unlimited data) - broken screen
line 2: Iphone4 (2gb)

Both phones are no longer on a contract and are month-to-month.

Would it be best to just pay for the screen to get replaced or to get a new iphone. If I get a new iphone is there a way to keep my unlimited data plan? Also it is still possible to renew 2 year contract with the 199$ price or would I have to pay for the full price of the phone (something I am hoping to avoid).

Thanks an advance for all your help.

Subwaymac

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
Illinois
Order from Best Buy.com have it shipped to your house as soon as the phone arrives remove the Sim card and burn it. Insert your old Sim card in the new phone and you will still have your unlimited data and have bought an iPhone at the low price

Reactions: emilioestevez

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
I don't think Verizon offers the subsidized pricing anymore. So you can pay full price up front, or use the monthly payment plan.

Edit/
OK it looks like Best Buy does still offer the subsidized pricing for a Verizon iPhone (that's strange). So if you want the subsidized pricing, and to keep your unlimited data, you need to order a new iPhone from Best Buy for line 2. That will get you the subsidized pricing, and allow you to keep unlimited data on line 1, but it will mean a new 2 year contract on line 2.

Once you get the phone then you can just swap out the SIM card from your 5S and get it up and running on line 1. Then you will probably also have to go online and re-activate the iPhone 4 on line 2.

All this said, how much data do you really use on line 1? There is a good chance you could actually save money by switching to the new plans and sharing data between the two lines.

Last edited:

nonicali21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2015
I googled Best Buy method and I am still alittle confused as to which line I should upgrade.

I plan to take my husband's phone which is the tiered 4s and give him the new phone on the unlimited so would I first go to Verizon's website and switch our lines, then go to best buy and order a 6s under line 2. When it comes it take out the sime and destroy it. Then insert old sim from line 1? I think I confused myself.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Sorry, but my method is 100% reliable and does not require trying to game Verizon and Best Buy's systems. Doing it my way does not risk something happening accidentally and causing the unlimited data to be lost forever. I purchased both a 5 and a 5S this way without losing my unlimited data (which I have now given up since I actually save money with the more everything plan).

Buy the new iPhone on line 2 and you don't have anything to worry about.

When you get the new iPhone swap it's SIM card with the one from your 5S.

The new iPhone will them be set up for line 1 and will have unlimited data and no contract.

Your 5S will then be set up for line 2. Obviously you don't want to keep using it for line 2 since the screen is broken, so you need to reactivate the iPhone 4 on line 2. You can do this very easily yourself from the Verizon website. Log into your account, choose "My Devices", "Activate or Switch Device", choose line 2 and hit "Next". Now choose "Activate Device" and "I am activating a device that I previously used with this account." That should then give you a drop down box where you can select your iPhone 4 and then click "Next". Your iPhone 4 will now be back up and running on line 2 with the tiered data plan and a new 2 year contract.

Last edited:

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
No, like I said I willingly gave it up when I realized switching to a more everything plan was gonna save me about $100 a month (10GB more everything plan with 5 iPhones, an iPad, and a dumb phone). I never used more than 2-3 GB per month on my unlimited line so it didn't make sense for me to spend that much extra to keep it.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
FYI. Anyone doing Best Buy method probably cannot get the 5.5 inch 6s plus Best Buy requires in store pickup in which they require in store activation.

Time is of the essence.

Pick any subsidize phone u want that's available to ship to HOME.

Make sure u have appropriate active SIM card before u buy the phone.

Reactions: determined09

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
FYI. Anyone doing Best Buy method probably cannot get the 5.5 inch 6s plus Best Buy requires in store pickup in which they require in store activation.

Time is of the essence.

Pick any subsidize phone u want that's available to ship to HOME.

Make sure u have appropriate active SIM card before u buy the phone.
How do you know that you have the appropriate active SIM Card? I have iPhone 6 now

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
I did this a couple weeks ago.
Used best buy method.

Line 1- Unlimited data.

ordered iphone 6S thru best buy and had it SHIPPED TO HOME.
Removed SIM card BEFORE turning on phone. Cut it up.
Insert your unlimited SIM in to phone.
Power on.
Make sure to use best buy phone with unlimited SIM for at least and hour and
**MOST IMPORTANTLY**
make no plan changes i.e. minutes, messages for at least 2 months. contract extensions are fine, but everything must remain the same.

emilioestevez

Suspended
Aug 25, 2015
Can you upgrade multiple unlimited data lines at once using the Best Buy method? I'd like to get locked in at the $30 rate for 2 years before the price increase kicks in.

renee_yuh

Suspended
Oct 19, 2015
Order from Best Buy.com have it shipped to your house as soon as the phone arrives remove the Sim card and burn it. Insert your old Sim card in the new phone and you will still have your unlimited data and have bought an iPhone at the low price
Does this bypass the $40 activation/upgrade fee?

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
I don't think Verizon offers the subsidized pricing anymore. So you can pay full price up front, or use the monthly payment plan.

Edit/
OK it looks like Best Buy does still offer the subsidized pricing for a Verizon iPhone (that's strange). So if you want the subsidized pricing, and to keep your unlimited data, you need to order a new iPhone from Best Buy for line 2. That will get you the subsidized pricing, and allow you to keep unlimited data on line 1, but it will mean a new 2 year contract on line 2.

Once you get the phone then you can just swap out the SIM card from your 5S and get it up and running on line 1. Then you will probably also have to go online and re-activate the iPhone 4 on line 2.

All this said, how much data do you really use on line 1? There is a good chance you could actually save money by switching to the new plans and sharing data between the two lines.

The Verizon 4s don't have a SIM card. Yes you can upgrade on the second line. You activate it on line 2 then Verizon switches the service. Do it on the phone with a rep. I did this when I used my daughter's upgrade for my UL plan. She had a 4.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
You can always simply buy the phone using the other line's upgrade. When it arrives, just call Verizon and activate it on your line. Simple as that. You maintain your UDP. You can also still get the subsidized price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.