How to keep number active without a plan?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kingc0bra, Jul 5, 2015.

1. kingc0bra macrumors regular

kingc0bra

Hi All,

Need some help/advice. I just got an iPhone 6 through work and was thinking of getting rid of my personal phone. However, it makes it hard since I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan.

I would possibly be ok with giving that up if I can get to keep my number and possibly forward all my calls/texts to my new phone.

Is there any easy way to do so?

What would you do?

Thanks in advance!

2. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly but if both are on the same carrier can't you just request a handset change, having them hook up the iPhone 6 to your existing account thus replacing your old phone while keeping the unlimited data plan?

3. spatlese44 macrumors 6502

magicApp? It's not free, but only costs $15/yr. I think transferring a number is a one time $10 charge. Don't ask me how well the solution works, but it's a suggestion. I'd be curious to hear any first hand experiences with this.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en

I would get a free Google Voice account/number then pay the $20 to have your old number ported to Google Voice. That way you can keep the number and forward it wherever to want, even to the new phone if you like.

5. kingc0bra thread starter macrumors regular

kingc0bra

Yes, the only thing is that I wouldn't want my personal number to become my work number, specially if I end up leaving the company in a couple years, etc...

6. kingc0bra thread starter macrumors regular

kingc0bra

Do you know if text messages can also be forwarded?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yup.

8. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

By nature, "porting" your number to another service will terminate your plan. If your intent is to keep the plan but pay as little as possible, you may need to contact Verizon to see what they can do. You may be able to drop it to a 450 minute plan and just keep paying for service on the phone. By now you should qualify for a BYOD discount, that should save you $15/month I think.

9. kingc0bra thread starter macrumors regular

kingc0bra

I think I may be ok with losing the plan as long as I get to keep my number...

10. kingc0bra thread starter macrumors regular

kingc0bra

Thanks so much!

Have you done the same yourself? I'm wondering if it's smooth without any issues....

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No, I don't use it for texts myself, just voice calls.