How To keep password to login but remove password for most everything else?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PicnicTutorials, Jan 19, 2014.

1. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

How To keep password to login but remove password for most everything else?

Currently its very annoying and makes me feel lie a child on my parents computer.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its built into OSX there's no way to alter this, besides if it were possible, it would represent a huge security hole that would compromise the the computer.

3. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

So I have two options. One remove password for everything including login. Or two make it so I have to enter my password 20 times a morning. Wow not very good.

----------

Not saying I'm doing this, but if I wanted to, how would I go about removing the password for all things including login? The only way I have come across was to change password and leave the new password field blank. That seems like a hack though.

4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

why do you have to login multiple times?

I login once and then I have access to everything. Unless the computer goes to sleep I don't need a login. For access to websites like FB or Twitter of course I have to login separately.

5. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

I do not login multiple times. I login once. Every time I go to add a program, delete a program, add a folder to finder, etc, etc x 100, it asks for my password. Its highly annoying.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

[[ I do not login multiple times. I login once. Every time I go to add a program, delete a program, add a folder to finder, etc, etc x 100, it asks for my password. Its highly annoying. ]]

Sounds to me that you're logging in as a regular (i.e., non-administrative) user.

If you were running from an administrative account, you wouldn't be prompted for a password to add folders, etc.

Open System Preferences and check either "Users & Groups" or "Accounts" (same panel but with different names in different versions of the OS).
    What type of user are you?

Aside:
    Even administrators will be required to enter a password when installing a program, or make changes inside the Utilities folder (in more recent versions of the OS). It's just the way OS X works. This is what makes it far more secure than Windows and far less vulnerable to viruses, etc.

7. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

Nope I'm admin. Making folders in finder is the only place it made me use my password this morning.

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

After seeing your post about organizing Apps, I'm wondering if you're making folders outside of your home folder, like in the Applications system folder?

If so, that's normal. Even as an Admin, if you're modifying system areas, it will prompt you. This helps lessen the chance that a rogue application you run can dork up the system areas of your Mac without your knowledge.

9. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Look at "Security" in system preferences. On the "general" tab press the "Advanced" button and verify that the "Require administrators password ... " is unchecked.

10. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

ya it was unchecked. :)

----------

Ya I'm doing a lot of system things ATM trying to get my mac the way I want it so that prob why I'm seeing more password needed stuff.