how to keep the little things..?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nlivo, Nov 6, 2007.

1. nlivo macrumors 6502a

i will be installing leopard soon and will be doing a clean install and i was just wondering.....

how do i keep iTunes playlist? also, bookmarks in safari? i assume i couldn't just drag all the links into an external HD because then i would have to bookmark them all again. also, with widgets, i can just drag them from one HD to another, right? sorry, i have just never updated OS's before. I got a mac when Tiger came out. Thanks.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

For iTunes, just drag the iTunes folder from Tiger's music folder to an HD, and later drag that to Leopard.

In Safari, File->Export Bookmarks, and save the file somewhere, to use File->Import bookmarks in Leopard

You may be better off freshly installing widgets (that is what you're doing with the OS anyway)...

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

These things all have places in your user folder where they are stored, and are completely safe to transfer from Tiger to Leopard. If you have a bootable backup of your drive created with a utility like Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper, and the like, you can use Migration Assistant to handle the transfer task for you. All you have to do is choose the drive where the information to be transferred is stored, then the stuff you want transferred, and let the Migration Assistant handle the rest.

Your Safari Bookmarks are in ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist
    Your iTunes Library is in ~/Music/iTunes
    Widgets are located in ~/Library/Widgets and their corresponding preference files in ~/Library/Preferences (their names start with widget).