How to keep the Macbook Pro fast??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Shining23, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Shining23 macrumors newbie

Shining23

Hello everyone,
    I have bought a Macbook Pro one week ago.The configuration is given below:
    Display-13inch
    HD-750 GB
    Processor-i7 2.8 Ghz
    RAM-4GB

Till now it is working vesy fast and smoothly and I am quite happy with its performance.However most of my friend says that just like any other computing device,my Macbook Pro will also get slow.And this is what scares me the most because because I am a newbie and do not have enough knowledge on Mac OS system.So here are my question.

1) Do I need to download Mackeeper?
    2) How should I delete the junk files ?
    3) Do I need to download any apps that keeps my Mac working fast and if yes then please do suggest me one.

Thanks a lot.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your MBP doesn't get slower. You only give it more tasks to do, which makes it seem slower.
    Absolutely not.
    The presence of files on your hard drive doesn't slow your computer.
    You really don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space. It will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software.

For performance issues, there are a few things you can check:
    • Check your Login Items under System Preferences > Accounts to see what you have automatically launching.
    • Also check /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Users/yourusername/Library/LaunchAgents/ for items launching at startup
    • Look at what widgets you may have running.
    • Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.
    • Take a look at the System Memory tab at the bottom of Activity Monitor to see if you have excessive "page outs", a sign that you may benefit from more RAM.
    • Make sure you're not running any 3rd party antivirus app, as many of those will drain resources, reducing performance. They're not needed to protect your Mac.

3. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Did you just have this ready for copy and paste?

4. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

i use

I use cleanmymac on all my computers, i love it.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.

You really don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space. It will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software.

6. michael31986 macrumors 68030

Glad I saw this thread. I just copied my 60gb of songs to my MacBooks 500gb hd and I was worried having that many files on their would slow it down.

7. saberahul macrumors 68040

Lol – he uses his old posts to post relevant information on repetitive threads. I'm sure if someone had a lot of questions on Macs, they could just find their answers by searching through his posts.
    OP: As said, do NOT download Cleanmymac – trust me, you will regret it.

8. Shining23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Shining23

Thanks a ton.I have noted it down:):)

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've added a few more things to the list which may help:

Performance tips for Mac OS X

10. Shining23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Shining23

Yes it was really helpful to me.

One last question. What is "ClamXav" ? It would be very grateful to you if you explain a little about it. Since I have found it on the apps store,I am really eager to know about it. And do I need it?

-Thanks

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's an antivirus app. You don't need any 3rd party antivirus software to protect Mac OS X from malware. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    If you insist on running 3rd party antivirus software, ClamXav is a good choice, since it isn't a resource hog, detects both Mac and Windows malware and doesn't run with elevated privileges. You can run scans when you choose, rather than leaving it running all the time, slowing your system.

12. Shining23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Shining23

Thank a lot for clarifying my doubts.