How to keep these smart cover streaks off the screen!?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by AdamA9, Mar 29, 2011.

1. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

2. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

no offense, but i wouldn't care if the grease on my screen is random swipe-marks or straight lines. a turned off screen is always smudgy and ugly, no way around that.

you don't see them when the screen's turned on anyways :/

3. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why would I take offence?

But I'm guessing you've never watched a film on the train...?

4. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

hmmmm, you're actually right, i recall cursing the sun and my laptop display back when i was commuting with the train alot.
    hmmm, my apologies then, i guess in somewhat brighter sunlight clear this really might be far more visible :/

i guess you'll need to carry some extra microfiber around for your train rides, as i don't see a way how you could 'pad' the gaps in the smartcover without hampering its 'foldability'

5. guitardogcar macrumors member

I have the same issue. It is like the cover cleans the smudges, but leaves ruts of finger muck.

I use a micro fiber towel and all the hot air I have and wipe it down. Previous Apple cover didn't do this, so I didn't expect it.

Definitely like the cover, but this thread should help others make the informed decision that the cover isn't a solution for keeping you screen clean. The marks really show in the sun, so be prepared to drop a buck for a nice little towel.

Guess that isn't too much to pay. :)

gdc

6. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Perhaps a clean of the screen after use might stop this from happening then. If it's the finger smudges that aren't removed because of the lack of contact points, then maybe if I clean after use, they wont be there...

Will give this a try, but a pain to carry around the cloth... :mad:

7. melman101 macrumors 68030

I actually did have the same issue with the first case.

8. guitardogcar macrumors member

Maybe the three over the one was what happened. It makes sense.

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I have not cleaned my screen or even wiped it off from the day I got it and have no streaks with the black leather cover. In fact from what I can see the iPad2 screen seems to pick up less finger smudges than my iPad1.

I just can't see this being a big problem and from the lack of posts on this subject, it is not.:)

10. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

If you don't have a cloth, maybe you could swipe a section of the smart cover on the streaks to try to remove them with the cloth-side of the smart cover.

11. melman101 macrumors 68030

Do you use iklear? Just wondering.

12. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Or you could wash your hands and remove every ounce of oil from your fingertips, but then either the touchscreen may not respond or you could have a hard time doing gestures.

The microfiber cloth is the best answer. Most display protectors are expensive hard to install, and make your display look ugly.

On Sunday, I wanted to take my iPad to the beach, but was afraid of getting sand or water on it. So I tried using a large ziploc bag, and it worked great, the touch screen was working perfectly. Too bad I left it in the car and, never got to really use it at the beach, but I have seen similar 'solutions' selling online for $20.00 or more.

13. X2468 macrumors regular

Use a clean, dry, microfiber cloth. It's easy.

14. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I think its the smart cover cleaning the surface that it touches, but due to the fold points those areas to not touch the screen so they do not get automatically cleaned.

Just clean it all manually once in a while and be happy the smart cover cleans some of the muck automatically.

15. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I find the denim in my jeans works really well for cleaning the iPad screen. Just 2-3 swipes on my leg and it looks brand new.

Or you could fold the smart cover in half and use the microfiber on that to wipe the screen.

16. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I never said it was a big problem.

I mearly asked of ways to prevent this, or at best to reduce and clear it. Out of interest, how much do you travel with your iPad in the smart cover?

No, never heard of it. Will Google now, thanks.

17. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

yeah, that sounds like a decent enough solution.

just use the two panels the furthest away from the hinge (so the two rightmost panels) to swipe across the entire screen a few times

18. Evgenyy macrumors regular

Instead of lifting the smartcover, slide it off the screen. Try it - it works.

19. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

Take the iPad and rub across your belly (make sure to wear a shirt). Your iPad will be as clean as a whistle.

20. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

it bugs me too someone said to keep the cover clean to use a lint brush I ahve not made it to the store yet and see if that also helps with the streaks wonder how Apple figured it cleans your screen everytime you use it ? It makes it streaky everytime I use it LOL I use a dry mircro cloth