How to kill my Macbook Pro external card?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by huffy15, May 7, 2017.

1. huffy15 macrumors regular

Hello, I tried many times to completely disable it didn't work. I was looking for an efi solution. I'm working all day on the battery and because of the Radeon Pro 450, I'm currently recharging my macbook pro 15 2016 3 times a day. I never encounter such a dispute with Apple. Apple care erased my whole computer and it changed nothing. My battery life is awful (less than 3-4 hours).

I regret a lot my purchase because of this issue. I'm only using photoshop and Chrome. I just need a 15 inch laptop with a 8-10 hours battery, but it doesn't seems to exist anymore.

2. darksithpro macrumors regular

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

"You can quickly determine if the issue is related to your graphics processor or driver by following these steps:

"Disable the GPU to quickly narrow down the issue
    1. Launch Photoshop.
    2. Choose Edit > Preferences > Performance (Windows) or Photoshop > Preferences > Performance (Mac OS).
    3. Deselect Use Graphics Processor.
    4. Quit and relaunch Photoshop."
    https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/124996/stop-chrome-from-switching-to-dedicated-gpu

"This might help you :

Type about: flags in the address bar and hit Enter button. Now locate the following three options and disable them.

1. GPU accelerated compositing

2. GPU Accelerated Canvas 2D

3. Web page Prerendering

zWx2X.jpg

3. leman macrumors G3

No laptop is going to give you 8-10 hours battery life if you constantly use applications that trigger high-power GPU state. Using the iGPU here is also not a solution: its power draw is not that much lower than that of a dGPU. What would solve the issue is asking the application developers to release the performance-critical resources when the app is idling (but good luck with that).

4. darksithpro macrumors regular

He might get an hour more "maybe" if he followed those steps.

5. robvas macrumors 68030

Use Safari.

6. huffy15 thread starter macrumors regular

I can't. I'm Front-end developer and I really need the chrome inspect element :s
    --- Post Merged, May 8, 2017 ---
    I actually tried the 12inch 1.1 Macbook and I was averaging 8 hours. (Photoshop + Chrome)

7. robvas macrumors 68030

Learn to use the Safari one? :)

Chrome will kill your battery, so if you do use it, it will be less than it would be if you used Safari. I like the Chrome tool myself :)

8. huffy15 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes thx, but that's a big learning curve I'm not sure for now :)
    --- Post Merged, May 8, 2017 ---
    Thx for your mega help. I had no luck so far I'm still getting the high perf. card on both photoshop and chrome :s