How to know if an unlock worked? (2G with 2.1 on Mac)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by candyman, Sep 17, 2008.

1. candyman macrumors regular

Hi all,

I just recently unlocked my wife's old 2G iPhone as she upgraded to the new 3G model.

I ran both QuickPwn and Pwnage Tool on it. I can clearly see the jailbreak worked as both Cydia and Installer are on the springboard.

However, I have no idea if the unlock worked or not. I assume so as when I restart the phone it says "Waiting For Activation. This May Take Some Time" with the Dismiss button on it.

Also, under the General it lists the carrier as AT&T even though the phone says there is no service on the status bar at the top of the screen. Is this because the AT&T SIM card is still in it?

When I plug it into iTunes, it recognizes the iPhone and wants to either activate it or use my other 2G iphone to restore it with.

I do not have another carrier's SIM card to try and put into it to test it. Is there any giveaway that the unlock took or even a giveaway that it did NOT work?

Thanks for all the input!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The only way to tell is to Pop A SIM*.

*The act of putting any SIM from any carrier in the iPhone to see if it works.

3. candyman thread starter macrumors regular

OK, if I can get a hold of one and pop it in, will I be harming the data of the persons phone I got it from? Also, with the other SIM card in it, it should boot up the phone just fine?

I assume it will give some kind of error message if it sees a card it can't read?

4. jdmstar macrumors member

Yes itll show POP A SIM CARD IN.

And when you plug in another sim card it should boot to the iphone screen with the bars all intatact ready t dial

5. candyman thread starter macrumors regular

OK, well I am fortunate enough to have someone I work with who has T-Mobile.

I asked to swap out their SIM card into my iPhone and got the "No SIM card" message. So apparently the unlock did not work.

I am going to go back and try it a new way tonight using the iClarified tutorial this time and try swapping it again tomorrow to see what happens.

I was really hoping to see it boot up and look for a signal :( Hopefully things will be better tomorrow.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

You answered your own question...

If the phone still said "Waiting for activation" then no, the unlock didn't work.

7. candyman thread starter macrumors regular

OK, well that brings up another question. When I performed this unlock and had my AT&T SIM card in it, it comes up with the "Waiting For Activation - This may take some time - Dismiss" message. In the top left of the menu bar it says "No Service"

So, the phone needs to be activated with AT&T before I can unlock it?

When I put the T-Mobile card in it, I got no activation message but just the "No SIM card" message. The top left menu bar said "No SIM."

So, it see's the AT&T card but see's the phone is not activated. With the T-Mobile card, it see's nothing at all.

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

That might be a firmware issue and just need a reflash.

9. candyman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the input! I got it to work last night. I just followed the step-by-step tutorial on iClarified and tested it this morning with their card once again.

T-Mobile came up in the menu bar and I was even able to make a phone call!

Pretty cool seeing the T-Mobile on my iPhone!