Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LightMast

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
So if an app is in the app tray on the bottom is it running and using system resources? How do I kill it (enter the app and hit home to exit out?)? How do I know if an app is backgrounding?

Thanks!

coasterswim

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Not all apps in the system tray are using resources, no. Knowing whether an app is backgrounding or not would vary by app, but if it's concerning you, hold your finger on the "running" app until the close button appears and kill it.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
So if an app is in the app tray on the bottom is it running and using system resources? How do I kill it (enter the app and hit home to exit out?)? How do I know if an app is backgrounding?

Thanks!

Apps only background if they have something to be doing. If it's a music app, it'll be playing music, easy enough to tell. If the app is downloading something, it may complete the task before going into a freeze state. If an app is using location services you'll see a little GPS icon on your menu bar. etc, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.