How to know if macbook logic board is broken?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nicolevm, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Nicolevm macrumors newbie

So a bit of windex spilled under my 13" aluminum unibody macbook. When I click any key on the keyboard now, very strange characters are displayed instead of the ones that are supposed to. Apparently my top case is broken (although I don't see how with just a tiny bit of windex...) and the apple store said it'd be $280 to fix, plus the logic board might be broken. I was wondering if there was a way to fingure out if the logic board's broken without sending it off to the apple store.

Additionally, I'm looking into the new macbook air since my current laptop (aside from not working properly) is a bit heavier than ideal. So I'm debating between selling mine as is, fixing it then selling it, selling it for parts, or selling it then just keeping it. What do you guys recommend? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. session101 macrumors regular

its going to cost you money....you can buy a used topcase and hope that after plugging it in that everything is back to normal and hope that was the problem, i would also encourage a new topcase/keyboard cable. Look for it used on ebay