How to know if my new purchased iPhone has been used?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by javiwankenobi, Apr 8, 2011.

1. javiwankenobi macrumors member

Hi, I just got an iPhone 4, about 3 days ago. I snapped 3 or 4 pictures and then when I synced with my laptop, several other pictures showed up on my phone. I do not recognize these pics.

What I dont know if is these pics could be somehow hidden on the phone or they were synced from my computer to my phone. (As far as I know, nobody has used our computer, nor synced their phones)

I told a friend and he told me to check "Usage" under settings, but I am not sure what it means. Under "Time since last full charge" it says some minutes, but under Call time, "current period and lifetime" says 3 days and 15 hours, there is no way I have been calling that long.

Firmware on the phone is the newest 4.3
    Is there a software or some tool to know if I was sold a used phone?

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You were definitely not sold a brand new phone. :(

3. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

check here when your iphone was purchase.
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

5. javiwankenobi thread starter macrumors member

Official carrier store in Mexico

6. vladtheimpaler macrumors regular

vladtheimpaler

Close thread

7. javiwankenobi thread starter macrumors member

What is that supposed to mean? Elaborate.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

He's making some kind of claim about all Mexicans (apparently) being untrustworthy. You can decide on your own how much weight you want to put into that line of thinking.

9. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Why dont you contact Apple store in Mexico? Is it Mexico City, by all means I'm sure Apple carries operations in Mexico just like they do in other countries and they (Apple) must abide by their contracts, regulations and laws.

And come on, this is Apple, an American company that will go to extreme extend to satisfied customers. I always read about how some customers just get their units replaced with a brand new one if any defects and things like that arw found.

Good luck k.

10. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

When you bought it, describe the box, was it closed with plastic around it? Did the phone have the plastic covering it (2 pieces) ect.

11. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Grow up and get a life. You do not know all and policing this forum is not even close to your concern.

12. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

We want to help, but the OP is not telling us where he bought the iphone. Was it inside an Apple store in Mexico? Or you just bought it off cash from someone, if that is the case you'll probably b out off luck. Warranted it has a warranty :(

13. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

The OP clearly stated he bought it at an official carrier store.

14. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Than is pointless, just call that store or you might need to go in person, avoid Juarez :)

15. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

If those statistics showed up under Usage, you were sold a used iPhone, not a brand new one.

I'd do a thorough investigation regarding the antecedent of the phone, you know?

Get to the bottom of this!

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would take it back to the store you purchased it at.

17. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

18. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

Agreed!

Take it easy, its just a joke.

19. shelbymayer macrumors regular

The store you bought it at might not have known it was used.

I work at an authorized retailer for AT&T and a couple months ago we received a shipment of iphone 4's from one of our phone providers...they were sent to us as "new" iphone 4's but ended up being refurbs...luckily my company caught it quickly and we never actually sold one of them. We never opened one of them because we sent them back...so i'm not sure if we would have seen similar usage statistics being a refurb...maybe someone else who has bought a refurb can elaborate on that! hope this helps! :)

oh and FYI they were sealed in the box also...the way we could tell they weren't new is the IMEI sticker on the back of the box was obviously a different one put on top of the original IMEI sticker...they called apple and realized a mixup had occured!

20. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

I don't have any personal experience with refurb iphones, but from the information available online Apple completely wipes the phones original data so the counter must be at zero too.

21. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

Did you set it upnas a new iPhone or was it restored from a backup. When I set mine up as restored from backup it carried over my lifetime call history from my previous iPhone.

22. javiwankenobi thread starter macrumors member

yeah will do :s . Do you think there's some sort of penalization from Apple to Telcel (the carrier) for these practices? Maybe I can threaten them with that.

23. javiwankenobi thread starter macrumors member

This is important, I dont really remember, however my previous iPhone was a 3Gs, wouldnt it restore it as a whole different device along with all it's data?

24. javiwankenobi thread starter macrumors member

Not really. It's working tip-top. Is just the fact that I dont like being sold something as brand new and being cheated.

25. Hind macrumors newbie

Iphone Replacement

I got a replacement for my iphone which didnt come in a box but its serial number is 88125 so i think its not a refurb as I heard refurbs start with 5k or something.. so I doubt that this phone is a used one!!! .. How can I make sure its a new one .. And if it is not used can a replacement come without a box!! ..
    P.S. I dont have an apple store and dont have access to call apple from where I live..
    Thank u!