How to know if you have virus? flashback?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ajgrant, Mar 25, 2014.

1. ajgrant macrumors member

I'm a bit of a technical hypochondriac I suppose. I don't know much about flashback, but that it comes from Java in your browser.

I was on a website tonight, and I think it was one of the website's ads that came up, but that site usually doesn't have ads. It was odd, and sounded like my Mac made an odd sound.

Overthinking things I'm sure, but how would I know if I had a rare Mac virus, such as flashback?

2. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

ClamxAV

Give this a swing on your Mac! It's FREE...

ClamxAV

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

How to know if you have a virus

Do you have a Mac?

If yes, you do not have a virus.

It's really that simple. A Mac OS X virus is not rare, it is non-existant. There is other malware that can infect your Mac, but not a virus.

But you can run ClamxAV if you want. It will tell you that your Mac does not have a virus as well.

4. ajgrant thread starter macrumors member

Alright. How would such malware be detected, and how could I know if I have any?

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I believe that ClamxAV can detect other malware, such as Trojans, Worms, ? (I'm out of my comfort zone). But the best way to make sure you don't have any such malware is to practice safe browsing. Don't download anything from a site that is not reputable. Don't click on links sent to you in e-mails from someone you don't know or trust.

There are pinned threads that explain malware issues more throughly. Have a look.

6. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

+1

Absolutely in the wright! Safety first!

Cheers

7. simsaladimbamba

To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.: