How to know if your MacBook is compatible with a particular SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macswitcha2, Nov 28, 2012.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

I'm shopping for an SSD and have a late 2008 unibody macbook (MacBook5,1) and will like to know which SSD are the best and compatible to my model?

Are there particular brands that are better?

2. DockMac macrumors regular

I'd stick with Samsung or Crucial, they seem to have the least problems. Samsung usually comes at a higher premium. A lot of folks here will probably recommend OCZ.

You need to know what type of Hard Drive connector you have for your MacBook. IIRC, you have a SATA II with transfer rates of up to 3 Gps. (You'll need to look it up to make sure.) The most modern is SATA III with transfer rates at 6 Gps.

Even though SATA III is faster and backwards compatible with SATA II, you are better off with SATA II because your machine cannot take advantage of SATA III.

3. israelmunoz macrumors newbie

I had an OCZ Agility 3 on a 2011 Pro before upgrading to an Air, and it worked like a charm. Had no problem whatsoever.

4. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

IMO crucial.com is the best place to find quality RAM/ SSDs at good prices for any certain model of MacBook. You can choose your model from their home page.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm running a Crucial M4 in my 13" mid 2009 MBP(basically the same as your MB, except for the slightly newer CPU). It works great.

6. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you for your answers.

I'm looking at Crucial now and can get it for less than OWC's SSD but I hear that OWC is the better brand. Would it make a difference?

7. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Another question, my current HD is 250...I've had my MacBook Unibody since late 2008 and have done lots of back ups to external Hard Drives so I've deleted some stuff. Currently, I have used about 100GB out of the 250 leaving with 150GB left. So, which capacity should I get, save by getting 128 SSD and use my current HD as a secondary drive or get a 256 GB SSD and doing the same?

8. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

256gb ssd would not be a good option if you can spend the money and back up your data