how to know what graphics is being used?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Free Ale, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Free Ale, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012

Free Ale macrumors member

Free Ale

hey guys,
    I just got my Retina MBP and I was wondering if there is an app that would show me if the 650m or the HD4000 is running.

Or, if there is a way to turn on the 650m, that would be greatly appriciated!

Thanks

2. BlackbookGuy macrumors regular

The app is called gfxCardStatus. Works well.

Turn off login password - Apple menu icon at top left, Preferences, Users, then get rid of ur password.

3. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Winner winner. Great app. I also turn off my discrete graphics. I hate that it turns on to play 1080P video when the IGP is perfectly capable.

4. bioyuki macrumors member

+1. After having it installed for a while it seems like there's no rhyme or reason why app/process X triggers discrete graphics. I still don't understand why Powerpoint needs discrete graphics...

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you don't want to install any third-party apps then you can use the About This Mac window. It lists the currently-active GPU on the summary screen.

6. Fatt macrumors member

Are you saying it's necessary to disable your login password for this app to function correctly? Or was there an additional question in the OP that got edited out I'm unaware of?

7. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

I have a login password on and it runs fine. No idea what he was referring to.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes, there was a second question that has inexplicably been deleted.

9. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Thanks for the tip. I'm always learning something new about my Macs from you guys on this site.

10. JPOWA macrumors regular

Don't know about you but I've been testing this app on ML with a RMBP and it doesn't work that well...

I meen it switches the graphics right but I was having some glitches and didn't know why! I stop the app and they were gone! Even scrolling on Facebook seems more smooth...

It may be a coincidence but in ML it's a fact in my system!

11. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

Google Chrome immediately triggers the dedicated card on my machine, Safari rarely triggers it so trying to use Safari more. I've tried ML and the newer Safari on my MacBook Air but I'm waiting for the release to install it on the RMBP. Safari in ML is finally good enough for me to switch off of chrome. Unified address/search bar plus tab and bookmark syncing is all I need. But back to the graphics, there doesn't seem to be any good reason for some things to use the dedicated. However, the retina display may need the card a lot more than one would think. If I had a non-retina, I would turn off the discreet as I know my 2012 Air does fine with its integrated 4000.