How to know what MacBook i have (How much RAM to put in)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bmh16, Mar 29, 2009.

1. bmh16 macrumors regular

I looked on the MacBook RAM page on here and i am not sure if i have the Santa Rosa chipset which would enable me to increase RAM capacity from 3.3GB to 4GB. I current have 2.5GB of memory (A 2GB and a 512MB in the 2 slots) and am not sure whether to buy another 2GB to replace the 512MB one as the prices are so cheap on RAM atm. I have a 2.2Ghz Intel Core Duo processor so would increasing the RAM increase the speed of my MacBook well? I am saving up for a MacBook Pro to buy in about 6 months when i can afford it but need the extra power in my MacBook right now as a temporary measure as Logic Pro struggles to run on my system when i have multiple programs running. So if i bought a 2GB one (makes it 4GB overall) and my capacity was only 3.3GB what would happen? What is the best thing for me to do as i bought my MacBook at just after the release of the MacBook (w/ Santa Rosa) so am not sure whether i have that version or not! Thanks!

2. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

This was posted exactly 10 minutes before you started your new thread. See this post for RAM limitations:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7367151&postcount=6

Now, click the Apple Menu, then About this Mac. Next, click the More Info button. Under Hardware Overview, locate the line that says "Model Identifier". It should be something like MacBook3,1. Match it up to the line in the above referenced post and you'll find out what your system can support.

3. bmh16 thread starter macrumors regular

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Yes that memory should work. SODIMM is laptop memory.

Even though you're not buying it from them, www.crucial.com has a great tool that allows you to input the make and model of your computer and it tells you which memory is compatible.

5. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Wow I never knew my MacBook (White 9400M) and iMac (Late 2007 2.4Ghz Aluminum) could address 6.0GB. Interesting... :)

6. cuppa1 macrumors newbie

Help with RAM

Hi, Can anyone tell me if I can increase the ram in this MacBookPro1,1 - its a 2nd hand model, dont know when it was first purchased and is working like a dream - only thing is RAM is at 2gb I will probably need a bit more. Thanks all

7. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

If the processor is a Core Duo as opposed to Core 2 Duo, the maximum is 2GB. I believe that the 1,1 is a Core Duo. You can check by hitting the Apple in the upper left of your screen and clicking About This Mac.