How to know which iOS version to download my app?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by mikezang, Nov 25, 2012.

1. mikezang macrumors 6502a

I can get how many downloading counts by iTunes Connect, but there is info about which iOS version to download, how can know that information in simple way?

2. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

You mean which iOS version the people who bought your app have? No, you need to use some sort of analytics in your app to know who uses what.

3. mikezang thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, that is what I want to know.
    So you mean I have to collect such info by my app no any way else?

4. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Right. You have to collect it yourself. There is no "built-in" way to know which iOS version your users are running.

5. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I can't really answer the exact question you posted, but this may tell you what you want to know:

http://insights.chitika.com/2012/ios-6-adoption-one-month/

Further, I think people who go through the effort to find your app on the App Store also go through the effort to keep their iOS device up to date, so I think you'll find higher than 60% of your users use iOS 6.

6. mikezang thread starter macrumors 6502a

How can I do it? Can you give me some detail suggestion or sample?

7. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Google Analytics, not that hard.
    You sign up for free, download their files, put them in your project, and each step you want to track, you can send to GA with some really easy code.
    [GATracker trackPage:mad:"iphone/page1"]; something like that, i don't have any projects open, but it's to give an example. On each VC you want to trigger these tracks, you can do that, you can check how many active users etc.
    Also, you can trigger things like you want in the appdelegate for example, when you start tracking, is to send the info to GA, not sure if this is build in, or you need to use some DeviceHW identifier component to check & send it to GA yourself.

8. mikezang thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your info, I will try it.